Red Spots on Roof of Mouth and Tongue

My 2-1/2 yr old daughter started running a 104 fever, Monday night and has red spots on the roof of her mouth. Took her to the ER and they did UA, throat swab and took blood. Preliminary results came back fine on everything except her white blood cell count was a little high which they suspect is result of an infection somewhere. They gave her an antibiotic and told me to control the fever with ibuprophen every 6 hours. Last night her mouth looked worse and there seems to be bumps as well as the red spots and she is complaining that it hurst now too. She still has a fever when the ibuprophen wears off too. Has any one had any experience with anything like this? Any idea on what this might be? Suggestion on how to ease the pain? I've been giving her ice chips which help some. Called the doctor and they say its going to be at least another day before the results come in from the lab on all the samples they took in the ER.

Thank you all for your responses. Her fever broke the day after I posted and the spots and sores in her mouth immediately started to improve. The ped's suspect it was the hand, foot and mouth even though she didnt have anything on her hands or feet. They said at her age sometimes it is only in her mouth. She is much better now and back to her normal self. Thank you!

As everyone else has mentioned, I too think it's hand, foot, mouth. When my son was a toddler and had it, his ped. prescribed tylenol with codeine to aid the pain and help with the fever. Good luck!

It might be Hand, Foot & Mouth Disease...I live in MO and hear that it's been going around. Good luck!

It sounds like hand, foot, and mouth disease. It's a viral infection, I did a search for it and here are the symptoms and other things that may be helpful from a site I found...

What are the symptoms?
Children with hand-foot-mouth disease usually start to feel crummy 3 to 7 days after they were exposed. Often, the first thing parents notice is their children’s decreased appetite for solids. Children may also have a fever and a sore throat. A day or two later, many children develop sores in the mouth. They begin as small red spots on the tongue, gums, or mucous membranes. They may blister or form ulcers.

How is it treated?
Antibiotics do not help with hand-foot-mouth disease. The important issues are pain relief and plenty of fluids. Cold liquids and popsicles can be soothing for a child’s sore throat.

How can it be prevented?
The viruses that cause hand-foot-mouth disease are present both in the stool and in the respiratory secretions. It can spread by fecal–oral transmission, droplet transmission, contact transmission, and by means of fomites. Hand cleansing—especially after diapering/toileting and before eating—can help reduce its spread. Children are often kept out of school or daycare for the first several days of the illness, but it is not clear this prevents others from becoming infected. Other children in the class are probably contagious even though they will never develop symptoms

Here's the website I found the info from.

http://www.drgreene.com/21_1103.html

I'm not a dr. of course, so I could be completely wrong :)

This sound like she might have Hand-Foot-and-Mouth virus. Its going around at the daycare where my son goes. Its characterized by a fever, followed by sores in the mouth and/or hands and/or feet. The information I have read about suggest ibuprophen and lots of fluids to easy the pain. I wish you the best with your little one.

Definately sounds like hand, foot and mouth disease. Unfortunately you just have to ride it out. My 2year old and 9year old both have had this through daycare and it spreads to small children like wild fire. As common as it is, I am very surprised the hospital didn't catch it.

It sounds like she has a yeast infection of the mouth or (thrust)not sure on spelling. Usually it is white spots, but I have heard of them not being white, and just red. Which is an infection of the mouth.

I would check it out again, because obviously your daughter is not feeling well.

My 1 year old just had something similar last week. My ped diagnosed it as herpangina (sounds horrible). He said it's a virus similar to hand-foot-mouth, but with only the mouth part. Very painful and since it's a virus it just needs to run its course. I treated with ibuprofen also and lots of liquids and soft foods. It must really hurt b/c my little guy was screaming in pain. It subsided in about 3 days for him. Good luck!

I've read all the other comments and haven't seen any about consulting your dentist. About 10 years ago, my son had the same symptoms. After going to the doc and having them find nothing, I took him to the dentist. As soon as my son opened his mouth the dentist knew exactly what it was, primary herpes outbreak. It's never happened since and he doesn't get cold sores or fever blisters.

So, give your dentist a try.

My son has a similiar situation when he was about 1 1/2 years old. He had Hand Foot and Mouth Disease. I thought that it was absolutly gross and was totally embarrased when the doc told me. Turns out it is pretty common at that age. They put him on an antibiotic and also gave me something they called "Magic Mouthwash" to numb his mouth.He had strep throat on top of that. It was a pretty rough week or two but it did go away eventually and I have never had the problem since.

Sounds exactly like hand, foot & mouth disease to me. My 18 month old daughter had this a few weeks ago. We were traveling by car for a family wedding when her fever started. We took her to the ER, everything checked out fine. Over the course of the next 2 days she got worse (very high fever that wouldn't come down with tylenol & ibuprofen, very fussy, not eating or drinking) and got dehydrated. She had to have a tube inserted in her nose to get fluids into her stomach. It was not pleasant at all. Do whatever you can to get fluids into her. It resolved over the next few days and she was back to normal. Not sure about me, as this is my first child, and her first serious illness. I was a wreck!

1 / 3