Red, Red Ear in Preschooler

My 4 year old gets red (I mean red!) ears on occasion--like you can see it across the room and it is warm. He has allergies and breathing issues, so I assume it's related to these.
Has any of you moms experienced this in your kid? If so, let me know. I'd like to know what is causing it.

The ears turning a bright red is a symptom that your child has gotten into something that he/she is allergic to. You definitely need to see an allergist and take it seriously!
I found this site I hope helps www.isitallergies.com/
A.

Yes! My eight year old's have done this a lot. It is when he has sinus or a cold coming on. I have a friend whose son is allergic to everything and he always has red ears.

I have not experienced this with my own child but I remember growing up that my brother's ears would turn SUPER red and would be warm to the touch. My Mom finally noticed a pattern that his ears were always like that when he was tired. This lasted all the way through his high school years. (I don't think they turn red like that so much anymore... I'll have to ask him!) Also, they turned really red when he played outside in the winter time and refused to wear a hat (boys!!)! I would first though try to see if you notice a pattern of his ears turning red when he is tired... hopefully that is the case and it is nothing more than that! :)

My son who's 7 gets this. He has food allergies, environ. allergies and asthma. I had thought it was due to him laying on it or something, but the rest of his face will be fine. I used to think that it meant that he had an earache coming on or something, but he'd checkout fine, no fever, etc.

I think it happens mostly when he's really tired. My cheeks get really red, his ears get really red.
Sorry that I don't really have an answer other than you and your child are not alone.

It does not happen to my child but when I have an allergic reaction my ear gets red, hot and swollen. It seems to go away on its own or with some benadryl.

1 / 3