Red Rash on Baby's Face and Neck

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. My 1 month old daughter is covered in a red rash on her face and neck. I think that it comes from skin to skin contact while I am feeding her since it is very humid out. Please help.

we went to the doctors today and it is an estrogen rash which is normal and will clear up on its own. Thanks for all the advice and help.

I just wrote to another mother about this. Take a white cotton sock and put good old fashion corn strach. Gently apply on her neck and face. I put it all over my daughter when this had happen to her. It works, its the best. My kids are summer babies and the humidity is horrible. My daughters neck would get so nasty from the sweat. This should help. :) After baths its works even better. :)

It is very possible that it might be prickly heat but it is also possible that it might be eczema or some other type of rash. Heat rash (prickly heat) usually looks a bit pimply but eczema looks more like red dry patches. It really depends on what the rash looks like since it could be so many things. If you suspect heat rash, either just dress her in a diaper to keep cool or loose fitting breathable clothing with the air conditioner on. Because she is so young I would not suggest using corn starch ( a popular remedy for heat rash) becasue the powdery particles can get into her lungs.

Also, it might be wise to take her to her pediatrician so he can verify the type of rash. If it is eczema he will prescribe hydrocortisone cream for her.

I am assuming that when you say skin to skin contact while feeding means that you are nursing her?
I nursed all 4 of my children, and this did sometimes happen, mostly with my first, she was the only one born in warm weather.
Wash and dry her face and neck after feedings, unless she's sleeping. but try to do this frequently throughout the day. Keep her cool and dry. Keep a fan running, to keep the air moving, it will help keep her dry.
Ask your pediatrician about lotions and creams before you put anything on the rash.

I am a first time mom and my daughter had that about a month ago when she was 3 weeks old. I was told it was baby acne but found out at her 1 month appt. that it was a common rash. The doctor gave me a prescription for cream and it cleared up in a few days. I would call your pediatrician.

Hi L.
my son had something like this when he was about 1 mo old. It was a rash on his cheeks, forehead, ears and neck that was flesh-colored for the most part that would get very red when he cried or became warm. I would recommend going to the ped just to rule out anything serious. My doc told me it was a little excema and to put eucerin cream on it several times a day. I did this and after a couple of weeks it did. It spread to his neck and chest a little before it totally cleared up. Good luck
L

Never take a rash lightly. How long has she had this rash? What kind of rash is it exactly? What are the bumps like? It could be a reaction to laundry detergent used on her clothes and yours, it could be food you are eating if you are breast feeding rashes are tricky. You should take her or at least call the nurse so she/he can help you narrow down her symptoms.

hi L., i would def take her to the ped, just because she is so young. babies get lots of funky skin things, and it could certainly be the heat or a product you are using or simply one of those funky things,,,, but lots of viruses also come out in a rash, though the rash is usually at the end of the virus and often following a fever and other symptopms. if she hasnt had any other symptoms, its probably nothing, but i would still take her to be sure. it could also be the start of an allergic reaction that could be more serious. not likely, but possible. i would go. take care, D.

the rash may happen due to prickley heat. Use baby powder with corn starch and it will dry it up in just a short time. You can also use pure corn starch and use it as baby powder on the part covered with rash. My pediatrician told me about the corn starch when my children were also that age, many years ago.

1 / 3