Recycle Old Clothes?

Does anyone have a suggestion of what to with used clothing that is not in good condition? I donate any clothing in reasonable shape to a not-for-profit but what can be done with items that are stained or very worn? We use what we can for rags etc but you can only store so much! It doesn't seem right to just throw it away.

Post an add on freecycle.org. There are several people out there that would love to have some "rags" to do their home projects.
Have a blessed week!

I know Allen Community Outreach takes clothes in poor condition. They do not resell them in their resale shop, but donate them to relief type organizations. ACO then is "paid" so much per pound of clothes. We do this and I feel like I am still helping out my local community.

maybe try giving them to your local shelter or vet office since they may need rags or bedding for the animals

The animal shelters and humane societies ALWAYS needs things like this for cleaning and bedding. That would be an excellent use for these clothes.

Mission Arlington and Goodwill make the un-usable clothing into mass cleaning rags for janitorial services.

Places that accept use clothing very often receive clothes that are unwearable. My local charity sells unuseable clothing to another company and is paid by the pound for the cloth. Check with our charity before you just put it in the trash.

I was at Allen Community Outreach a couple weeks ago donating good used designer clothing.

One of the reps told me that they accept worn, stained clothing as well. She said they do some repairs and get it into condition to wear. If that can't be done, then the clothing is used in another way at the outreach center. She specifically told me that thay take and appreciate anything.

Dog shelters use them for blankets and rags.

Here's another plug for freecycle.org. I love that site. I don't care what you have, there is someone who can take it and put it to good use. Seriously, even the stained and worn clothes will find a good home.

I know it seems weird that someone would want the rags, but you never know what people use things for. I have a friend who is a water garden expert, and she's always building ponds for people. She considers it a bonanza when she comes across the old nasty carpet and carpet padding that people throw out when they redo their floors--she uses it beneath the plastic pond liners to help protect the liners from sharp rocks in the ground below. I'm sure people think she's really strange for wanting that filthy old stuff, but she puts it to good use. :)

I like the vet/shelter donation idea. I always take the buttons off (or any other useful things - beads, etc.) If you are handy/crafty, you can use the fabric for various crafts. Here is a list from an online discussion about what to use the fabric for:
Cloth napkins
Tote bags
placemats
rag rugs
felted blankets
patchwork quilts
Quilting squares
Patchwork hobo bags
Rice bags - Sew a rectangle and fill it with rice. Heat it in the microwave or keep it in the freezer for injuries.

1 / 3