Recurring Kidney Infection

my sister has gotten 2 kidney infections for which she had to be hospitalized. she doesn't drink enough water but her infections seem to skip the bladder infection part and just head straight for the kidneys. she had an ultrasound of her kidneys but they didn't find anything. has this happened to anyone?

my sister's been drinking cranberry juice every day as a preventative, which has worked so far. i wanted to share with you all another cause which i have just discovered. apparently recurring infections (urinary and vaginal) can be a sign of hypothyroidism, which is hereditary in my family. i wish i would have known this long ago as i have suffered through many UTI's since i was a teenager, to be told that i didn't know how to wipe myself properly. basically that i was getting so many UTI's because i had bad hygiene. the nerve!

thank you all for your responses :)

In addition to what others have posted, she really does need to drink more water. I had bladder and a kidney infection when I was younger. Once I started drinking more water, I didn't have these problems again.

Hello N.,

has your sister been checked for any abnormalities in her kidneys? There are many physical reasons why people are more prone to those infections, other than not drinking enough, and many are either genetic or congenital.
I have PKS (Polycystic Kidney Syndrome) running in my family, with my mom, my sister and several of her children affected (I do not have it myself). It is a genetic condition that can go undiagnosed for decades, my mom was well into her 40ies when she was diagnosed even though she had had two kids and a few abdominal surgeries, ultrasounds and x-rays. Both she and my sis are very susceptible to kidney infections that skip the usual UTI stages.
I would suggest that she sees a specialist to get thoroughly checked.

Iv had 7 kidney infections last year and never had a bladder infection that iv noticed but almost every 3 months i get one. Its been 6 months sents my last one but i can still feel pain in my kidneys iv complain to the doc that im still having problums. He adviced next time i get one im going to have to go in to debt to figure out whats wrong. I drink cranbarry juice every morning, stoped drinking, and always make my husband shower before sex.

Just to add to other things to check, right before my Mom was diagnosed with Rhematoid Arthritis, she had several kidney infections...and apparently there is a relation. From what I understand, there are other auto-immune disorders that could also manifest this way. So, whatever else she does, she should be sure to talk to her doctor about whether there are other things that could be the under-lying cause of these infections.

Been there done that! I've had bladder and kidney infections chronically since birth....had a bladder surgery when I was 23 so now the infections go straight to my kidneys. The doc said that it could be "silent" when its in the bladder. I make cranberry juice a regular part of my diet. I am not a big water drinker either but I will drink flavored water..anything that doesn't have sugar or caffeine counts as "water"

been there done that. make sure that cranberry supplements are a a reg part of her daily diet! She will feel so much better.

My mother-in-law nearly died a few years back when her kidneys basically shut down. She has had trouble with them much of her life. Your sister should really start taking care of herself. Dialysis is no fun. A naturopath could help her get her body back to health and wellness.

the only thing that i know is that my daughter was diagnosed with kidney reflux where everytime you pee the flap between the kidney and bladder allows some pee to go back up into the kidney and then can cause a kidney infection. this needs to be fixed in girls/women especally when they are sexually active. this is just something that we dealt with so please don't jump to conclusions.

1 / 3