Recurrent Utis in Toddler Girl - Treatment Ideas

Hey Gals,

My 2 1/2 year old little girl is on her third UTI in 2 months. She received a kidney ultrasound which thankfully came back normal. We haven't gotten her VCUG (bladder xrays) yet because she hasn't been UTI free long enough to get it done. From what I've read on the internet, we may end up having her on a low dose of antibiotics for as long as a year until she "outgrows" her issue - but we won't know if she has an issue (with her "plumbing") until she gets the VCUG.

Sorry if this is all foreign language to you, but what I think most of you could help with are suggestions for nautral ways to help prevent these UTIs. I am thinking of getting blueberry and/or cranberry supplements - tried cranberry juice but no matter how much I diluted it or if it was the cranberry/blueberry mix, she rejected it.

Anyone been through this and have suggestions?

TIA!

Thank you all for taking the time to share your knowledge! We are almost done with her current round of antibiotics and hope to get her VCUG done next week. We tried Grape and Cranberry-Blueberry juice, but she rejects it (very picky eater). We are only giving her showers now and are being very clean "down there". There are a handfull of clever other ideas mentioned here that we also hope to give a try. Thank you so much!

I had a friend whose daughter had this happen - she found that if she scrubbed the bathtub before taking baths, it happened less often.

MMH

i agree with all the others...i too was this little girl. Have they told you if she is fused "down there"? that may be part of the issue. also, as a first step before antibiotics, try baby aspirin, that always worked for me. i had them unil i was about 10 and then again in my late 20's to the point where my ob/gyn had be on an antibiotic that i would have to take every single time i had sex (because that would be what flared them up as an adult). good luck1

My duaghter's Dr. told me to put about a 1/4 of vinegar in 2-3" of water for her bath. She takes showers most of the time, but if she starts to hurt she soaks in the tub. The hospital she was at said that grape juice works better than cranberry juice.

Take care

My little girl was just barely 2 when she had her first UTI. We were on vacation in DC. She spiked a fever of 104 and became almost unconscious. Thankfully, the hospital in DC was able to determine that it was a UTI and started antibiotics. When we got back home, we did have the VCUG. It was an awful experience because they did not sedate her. However, they did determine that her bladder was emptying back into her kidneys. I am very thankful that our pediatrician ordered these tests after only 1 UTI. Many children have to have several before they doctors order the tests. Anyway, my daughter was on the medication for a year. The medication did constipate her. So, we became very familiar with fiberous foods. We went back for a check a year later, thankfully with sedation. She did grow out of it, and everything is fine. Being on a medication for such a long time, does tend to screw with some of your systems. I would talk to your pediatrician about also using probiotics to counter some of the side effects of the medication. Good luck!

Water, water, water. NO sugar--and that includes alot of bread & starches & juice other than cranberry. Yogurt is a girl's best friend. No bubble baths.

Cranberry juice (not cocktail!) is a good preventative. The "vitamins" may help but they are simply not as effective. Try adding it to lemonade? (I personal LOVE cranberry juice - The stronger the better = )

I grew up with recurrent UTIs they diagnosed me with a valve/reflux problem that many many many little girls grow out of without any intervention. I did not and so I have just become very careful about what I can do to prevent them. Long term antibiotics are hard on the body (though if that is the only option you have...don't freak out. There are many things you can do to counteract the effects of long term AB). Anyway, maybe some of these tips will help your daughter:

Cotton undies only (gosh maybe she is in diapers...?)
NO undies at night
No tights
Lots of water
No soda
No caffeine
Limit citric acids (i.e. orange juice)
Limit spicy foods (this ones kills me)
Change your laundry detergent to Dreft or something else that is dye, scent, etc. free.
No bubble bath
Change to a very natural soap (Aveeno I think will have something).
Daily vitamin (talk to your doctor)
Don't let her hold it (again...if she is in diapers, this doesn't apply)
Teach her how to wipe after #2 (tho some doctors even question this...if #2 were such a UTI trigger, wouldn't all diaper-bound baby girls have chronic UTIs?)
Ensure she FINISHES when she pees. When she says she is done, have her wait a minute and try to go a bit more.

I went through all of this last summer with my daughter. She got her first UTI shortly before she turned 3 and the same month she started preschool. She had multiple UTIs throughout the summer and she had to have a kidney ultrasound and a VCUG (not a pleasant test). Luckily there was nothing wrong with her. For my daughter it was more of a hygene issue because at her preschool she was expected to wipe herself after she went to the bathroom and she was still learning how to do it properly and wasn't very good at it (she goes to a different preschool now).

When your daughter has the VCUG try to plan on staying home with her afterwards. If she needs to pee but says it hurts - sit her in the bathtub in a little warm water and let her pee in there because it won't sting as bad.

Hopefully there is nothing wrong with her plumbing and she won't need to be on the low dose antibiotics long term. The best things you can do to help prevent future UTIs is make sure she's drinking lots of water and sitting on the potty frequently (if she's potty trained). If she's potty trained then help her wipe and teach her to wipe front to back. If she's still in diapers or pull ups then make sure she's being wiped clean after diaper changes. Also, don't use bubble bath when you give her baths. My daughter didn't care for plain cranberry juice either but she would drink a little diluted cranberry/apple and cranberry/cherry juice. Yogurt is good too at replacing the good bacteria, especially when she has to be on antibiotics.

Hopefully the results from the VCUG will be good and there won't be a reflux issue. Good luck!

P.S. - make sure you have lots of tissues on hand when they do the VCUG because it's hard on mom too.

Don't use bubble bath. Or bath products with fragrance etc.
Many times, these things can cause UTI's.

I agree with everyone on all the issues...... but I wanted to reinforce the NO Bubble Baths............ I know they are fun for them but most of the products even the ones made for kids are not good for little girls!!!! I know it's really hard when your child has problems and you don't know how to fix them!!! We're the Mom and we are supposed to be able to fix everything!!! Good luck.....

Go to a naturopath, use herbs for her infections , not antibiotics, while you figure everything out. I dont know where you live, I have used naturopaths in LaGrange as well as Riverside.

1 / 3