Recommended Cough Medicine for 2 Year Old

Hi all,

My daughter has a horrible cough due to nasal drainage. With all the scares going on about giving kids under 6 cough and cold medicine, I'm leery. Is there anything out there that's safe enough for a 2 year old? She's coughing so much she can't sleep and I can't call the doctor until the morning.

Thanks in advance!

A cool mist humidifier and the Sudafed plug-ins have helped my children feel more comfortable through the night. I haven't tried this yet, but a friend of mine swears by putting Vicks Vapor Rub on her children's feet and then putting socks over it just before bedtime. It supposedly has taken her children's colds away by the next morning. I just have never thought about it.

Also, lots of fluids is shown to bolster the immune system.

Have you tried rubbing Vicks VaporRub on the soles of her feet? I know it sounds wierd but I have seen it work for the nighttime coughing...

Applying Vicks to the bottoms of the feet and putting socks on works for my kids too. Recent research suggests that children under 6 should not be given cold & cough medicines.

Parents Magazine has a helpful article on this topic, here is the link:
http://www.parents.com/baby/health/cold/how-to-soothe-kid...

Doesn't your Doctor have a pager number...or a Doctor's exchange phone number you can call for off-hours?
Just call your Doctors office right now, listen to their phone recording message...and they should say who to contact, or what to do outside of office hours and in case of emergency.

All the best.

Just give her lots of liquids for now... to keep the mucous flowing... and take her into the Doctor tomorrow, since she is having a bad cough...

If anything...my Doctor would suggest Benadryl, but ONLY for at night IF the child has trouble sleeping.
Per our Doctor for that age, about 1/2 teaspoon.... or read the box. But again, I am not a Doctor and you should only go by what your Doc says.

Take care

It sounds like you got amazing advice...my son got colds pretty frequently last yeat, and the only that got him to sleep comfy was pediacare (avoid multi-symptom formulas) for nasal congestion, sudafed plug-ins, vicks baby vapor rub...for the cough we used this radish stuff my grandma used to make, and while it sounds gross it's awesome.

Boil Four Radishes (or more) with a teaspoon of sugar (i used raw) for every radish. Boil until the radishes lose their color, and it's awesome. Sip it warm. I use it to this day...

But, I also adhere to honey with warm water and try to avoid meds if you can...I only use them as a last resort.

But, please call you son's doctor...anytime cold symptoms are 'preventing sleep' it's a good idea to get doctor involved asap.
good luck!

Hey A. ~
I don't give my little guy cough med anymore either. I started buying a nature sunshine product. I LOVE it. I couple it with a humidifier at night and it does the trick. Its by Nature Sunshine, "Herbasaurs for children Cough Syrup". No meds, made only with vitamins. I'd be happy to share my reps name if you are interested. Let me know.
Good Luck,

I give my daughters the cough syrup from Hylands. It's homeopathic (made from honey). It is homeopathic and safe for kids.

I think the key to nasal congestion is keeping their sinuses clear. I am a distributor for Shaklee Health and Wellness products and I give my girls the multi-vitamins (Ocean Wonders Infant Mix) and Alfalfa tablets. It really keeps their allergies in check. www.shaklee.net/centeno

Also, try and keep her away from refined sugars... as difficult as that can be over the holidays.

Good luck!!

I actually just bought something today for my 2 year old, so I'm not sure if it works yet or not. It's Mentholatum cherry chest rub - cough suppressant. I usually use Baby Vicks, but this brand is advertised as a cough suppressant & had some different ingredients. My humidifier & the Vicks usually works well if they are stuffy, but not so much for a bad cough, so I'm hoping that this works.

Gosh, this is so hard!! Use the humidifier, vics vaporub, and stand in a hot steamy shower with her before bedtime, in the morning and any other time that she needs it, then blow (or suck) her nose as much as you can. Try to have her sleep in a chair that elevates her head. I used to use the infant carrier, but she is too old for that. good luck, mom.

I agree with the Honey and Lemon remedie. It really works and it's natural so you don't have to worry about meds. No cold beverages, and keep her back and chest covered. At night you could also rub vapor rub (there is a baby/toddler one, smells very nice) on her chest, back and the bottom of her feet. Of course do this when she is already asleep. Prop her up a bit and she should be able to sleep much better. If you need to give her milk give her skim milk, the regular milk will develope into flem. Well you have alot of good suggestions hope they help your baby girl get better. Take Care......

1 / 3