Recommend Your Midwife!

Pregnant with number 3 I really want to go with a midwife this time around. If you loved your midwife and hospital, sell them to me! Let me know who and why you would recommend them. I am hoping to schedule appointments with Evanston, West Suburban, and Swedish Covenant. I like the idea of an Alternative Birthing Center. I don't need anything fancy like Prentice, just nice and comfortable. I really want to try for a natural birth (but after two with drugs, can I do it?!). Not too granola either, something in the middle. Thank you so much!

Thanks everyone so much for your experiences! I interviewed three different groups and am currently struggling with which one to go with! It is down to Oak Park Midwifery and Swedish Covenant. I guess there will never be the "perfect" one I just have to figure out what is most important to me. I would love to use the ABC rooms at West Suburban but the drive out there really stinks! It's so inconvenient for my husband too and with #3 I have a feeling I won't be getting around to really utilizying the facility to it's fullest if you know what I mean!
I loved the midwife I met with at Swedish and the hospital seems nice but rooms are very small and no water birth (not that that is a requirement but the option would be nice). We'll see. Thanks!

I went with the ABC room at West Sub and used the West Suburban Midwives Group. I loved them and my experience was everything I wanted it to be. Check them out!

You HAVE to make an appointment with Debi Lesnick with North Shore Associates in Evanston ###-###-####). She delivers at Evanston Hospital and is amazing! I've been with her through two births and she is just the person you want through a pregnancy and birth. Down to earth, relaxed, not pushy, but dedicated to ensuring that women who are able to and want can have natural births. You won't be disappointed!

Hi J..
I delivered my son at Prentice, with a midwife, and had a natural delivery. I wanted the "comforts" of prentice, but a more natural delivery. I am not granola at all either, and my midwife rocked. I used Sare Eggemeir, who is not granola either:) My sister delivered at west suburban with the midwives and loved it too. Good luck!

Yeah... the midwives at Swedish are INCREDIBLE! I've recommended them to everyone who will listen. I went into every appointment with a list of questions and always left with more info than I could have imagined, getting all questions answered before I even asked them and smiling for sure.

I had my first there - and ended up with a scheduled CS because she was breach. I was SO disappointed - so TWO of the midwives decided to come into surgery with me to help make the experience as much as the way I wanted it as possible (holding and nursing the baby ASAP - while I was being sewn up! - etc.).

I just had my 2nd this past November and had a successful, drug-free VBAC. My husband SWEARS that the reason I made it was the support and encouragement of the midwives.

The hospital is not the fanciest or the prettiest, but they have everything you need. The lactation consultants are fantastic. Every nurse we had (both times) was helpful and kind. Hell, we even had a phlebotomist who drew blood from my newborn without even waking her up. And did you know that SCH now has a program offering FREE doulas? They're students in training to become Certified Nurse Midwives who need experience- and we thought they were pretty fantastic too!

I could go on and on and on... I simply love this group of women. And FYI, if you do want drugs, they're fine with that too :)

Good for you (and your baby)! You can absolutely do this!!
After checking out both Swedish Covenant and West Suburban, I chose to go with the midwives at West Sub because of the the ABC rooms and the option to have a water birth. I had a great experience with the midwives there and am continuing to see them for my well woman care. I appreciated them because they provided not only good medical care, but the emotional support I needed at times throughout my pregnancy. They are great - they even give me hugs when I go see them now. :)

Swedish Covenant midwives are the BEST! I just delivered my 2nd with them. The entire pregnancy was great with them- they care, take their time, and are all around amazing. In fact, I miss seeing them now that my daughter was born! I was able to have the confidence to have a fully natural, unmedicated birth after a really medicated first birth.

I used West Suburban Midwives in Oak Park with my first and they're awesome... they take pretty much all insurance (including all kids) and they're not granola at all. And if you end up wanting meds they're ok with that - they just set you up for better success to go the natural route if you want. One of their midwives left the practice after my daughter was born to go back to homebirths, so this time I'm going to go that route. Her name is Hillary Kieser. I love her, but she is a little more on the crunchy side.

I agree with Megan C, you should go check out Shirley, Elise, Juliette, and Mary in Forest Park (www.oakparkmidwife.com). They are great! I delivered both of my sons with them in the ABC room (one is two years, one is seven weeks) and I am not considered the crunchy-granola type. My seven week old was a water birth. Laboring in the tub was such a relief. It was so relaxing that I wanted to stay in even after I delivered. ;) You definitely can handle it! With this being baby #3, the odds are that your labor will be on the quicker side (bonus for you). Natural labor is all mind over matter, in my opinion. I did not take any special birthing preparation classes and still had a wonderful experience. Best of luck to you and congrats on #3!

1 / 3