Recipes That Hide Vegetables

Anyone have any recipes that hide vegetables in kid friendly meals that you can share please?

My mom use to hide carrots in mashed potatoes from my little brother. IT makes the mashed potatoes orange in color, but you can't taste it. Just boil the carrots till soft with the potatoes. Good luck!

I have the DD book also, but since my daughter doesn't eat most of those foods even normally, I will have to wait until she is a little older and her tastes change to try them out. Last night, I loaded a canning jar with frozen veggies (mixed, plus broccoli), added some water, covered it and cooked it in the microwave for 5 minutes. Then I topped the jar with the blade assembly of my blender and blended them all up - looked like baby food. I added that to the ingredients I was using to make a meatloaf. Could not taste or see the veggies at all - and the meat wasn't green either. It was very good.

If you end up having a really hard time, there are great 'super food' powders that you can add to a drink that incorporate a full days worth of most of the good stuff that you get from fruits/veggies. They have them in flavors and I got a kids chocolate flavored on that you can blend with a small milkshake or smoothie or even just into chocoate cow or almond milk. I got it from the kids section at Natures Food Patch but I'm sure they have it at another health food store too.

Of course eating raw veggies or cooked meals is best, these are good back-ups, especially on days that you know you didn't get much in....

Have you seen the Jessica Seinfeld cookbook? Her premise is to puree the veggies, then she puts them in everything. I love the chocolate chip cookies with chick peas! She adds the purees to mac and cheese, baked items, etc.

I have found that if you chop veggies small, you can put them in baked pasta dishes or on pizza without complaint. I also add many veggies to chili, taco filling, and cous cous. My kids and I are vegetarian, so they are more willing to try new veggies than most kids.

I also suggest that you make your kids take a bite of unhidden veggies every time you serve them. It takes as many as a dozen tries to develop a like of foods. My 4 year old is picky, but we make her at least taste everything. She is very slowly getting a bit less picky.

I saw a hardcover copy of Deceptively Delicious at Marshalls for about $8.00 A good deal. I bought mine for the cover price.

Or there's a another book called The Sneaky Chef that uses the same premise, pureed healthy foods. Go to Amazon.com to take a look. I think her last name is Lapine or Chapine.

There is a great recipe book for just that. It is called Deceptively Delicious.

Chocolate Zuchinni Cake is great. Also the zuchinni cookies.
Carrot cake. Google recipes with hidden vegetables and I bet you will find a lot of them.....

Here are some of the ways I get veggies into my kids diet:

My kids eat scrambled eggs with veggies. I often cook eggs with squash, zucchini, asparagus, frozen spinach and corn. Sometimes I add cooked rice. I like red peppers added at the end so they are still crisp and crunchy. My daughter loves tomatoes which I also add at the end, if I use them, or as a side slices with a little salt. Sometimes I top with feta cheese and/or slices of avocado. I like to cook my scrambled eggs with sesame oil instead of butter.

One of our favorites is shells and cheese with veggies and here is the recipe (I don't actually measure but I took a guess at the quantities):

Box of Kraft Velveeta Shells and Cheese
1 Cup diced Squash and/or Zucchini (and/or broccoli)
1/2 Cup frozen cut Spinach
1/2 Cup frozen Corn kernels
1 Cup diced Tomato
Grated Parmesan cheese (to taste)

Follow the cooking instructions on the shells and cheese. When you add the noodles to the boiling water, also add your fresh and frozen veggies (not tomato). When it's cooked drain and add the packaged cheese, tomato and parmesan cheese. My kids love this and we make it almost every week. It does not work with powered mac and cheese.

I put chopped carrots and broccoli in my spaghetti sauce.

I also make hearty vegetable soup that my kids eat but not as consistently. If you are interested in the recipe send me a message and I'll get it to you. I don't have it typed up yet but I'd be happy to do it if you want it.

Finally, I have the cookbook "Deceptively Delicious" and have tried many of the recipes. I liked some of them a lot (some I didn't care for). My favorites were the rice balls, tacos and the brownies. My kids wouldn't eat anything but the brownies and it was a lot of work but I do like the idea of using purees more often.

Try the cookbook - "Deceptively Delicious" by Jerry Seinfeld's wife. It has recipes that make mashed potatoes with cauliflower, chicken nuggets breaded with pureed veggies - etc. She was on Oprah - and Oprah was taste testing everything and swearing that it was delicious and that you couldn't detect the veggies. Good luck!

1 / 3