Recent Reflux Diagnosis for Our 18 Month old...advice?

Hi, moms!

Our 18 month old was just diagnosed with GERD a couple of weeks ago (probably had since he was born, but it was "silent reflux"--no projecticle and the like). He is "failure to thrive"...man, I sure hate that phrase...off/on the bottom of the charts size-wise, has never slept through the night, has a ton of trouble when he gets an respiratory infection, etc. Poor little guy! They are treating it agressively--he is on Zantac, Prevacid, and Carafate for the next 2-3 months, then they will see how he is doing. We have a great pediatrician, which I am thankful for. But, I was just wondering from other mom's out there who specifically have had a toddler with reflux--what advice would you give? Things that helped? Things to be aware of or ask the doc? Thanks so much in advance!
Blessings,
V.

My granddaughter had a similar condition. About a year ago her mom found out that she was allergic to a number of foods, peanuts, eggs, shellfish,etc. Now that those things are out of her diet, she is much better. Still throws up easily mostly when she is coughing but nothing like it used to be. She is almost 5 now and doing very well.

Minneapolis mom/grandmom

I think you have gotten some great advice! My DD was on Zantac when she was 6 months and was able to discontinue at 9 months. We did chiropractics in conjuntion with the meds and it made all the difference in the world. They are very gentle on babies and toddlers. Blessings on you and may your son thrive! -Also, I just wanted to say, great job! Your son may be underweight(for now) but based on your post I don't think he will ever be underloved!!!

First thing, why is it ok for your 18 mth old to be on so many drugs???? For me, that would be clue #1 to seek a different opinion. Have you tried Chiropractic? GERD responds so well to Chiropractic care it's unbelievable. I personally prefer an Applied Kinesiologist Chiropractor but you could seek out one that works specifically with kids. I would get there ASAP. I have four children of my own and this is the first line of defense for ANY issue they have. It's non invasive, natural, and works with their body to strengthen itself. Be aware of? How about a doctor that's more concerned with pushing an 18 mth old toddler onto several drugs than finding out the root cause of the GERD and addressing THAT. GGGRRRRRRRR (hot topic - can you tell?)

My daughter was just diagnosed a week ago and she is taking zantac twice a day. She is 11 months old. It has been working late but my husband forgot her morning dose on Tuesday and she kept throwing up. So don't miss a dose because it's like starting all over. She's finally better today after a full day of medicine and not giving her too much solids.

Hi V.,
I am sorry to hear about the issue with your baby boy, but
have you thuoght about or checked out chiropractic care for your little James? If not, that is something that is non invasive and non medicative as well. I know very well and have worked for a chiroprctor by the name of Dr Sharhae Matousek. Her clinic is located in Eden Prairie, if you are in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota. She has her Peds, CranioSaco as well as chiropractic and is so gentle, using CranioSacro therapy with adults and children. I have seen first had what Dr Sharhae can do with infants, as I did witness a miraculous change in an infant when I worked for her. This little baby girl also had trouble with her tummy, sleeping through the night and was also on Prilosec. After 2 treatments that baby was transformed! She accepts many insurances and her phone number is ###-###-#### and is at the corner of Anderson Lakes Parkway and hiway 212. I can honestly say that you will be doing yourself and your little James and daddy, too, a hughe favor. I recommend her very highly.

I wish you the very best,

About me: I am an office manager at a chiropractic office and also a representative for a neutraceutical company, here locally.

one thing that could possibly cause reflux and failure to thrive/growth problems is Celiac Disease, a simple blood test to diagnose it. www.celiac.com for more info. May not be the isssue but might be worth looking into. Good luck, Jennifer

Our daugheter was diagnosed with reflux when she was about a year old. We put her on Prilosec and gave her asthma breathing treatments. Then I started reading all the side effects of those drugs and freaked out. I took her off the drugs and started treating her naturally. Finally I took her to a chiropracter specializing in kinesology and he determined that she was allergic to dairy and suffering from candida. After changing her diet and getting her on some homeopathic remedies and a formula to heal her gut she made immediate improvement. I mean within a couple of days I could tell she was better. Your son sounds like he has a lot of the same symptoms and I really feel like the natural remedies helped our daughter. The other very important thing is a change of diet. I hope this helps you a little bit. It sure is awful when our little ones are suffering!

My son was diagnosed with GERD at 2 months and still has it now at 26 months. I was and continue to be nervous about the medications and especially the lack of research on how they might affect kids, especially long-term. However, I have to be honest in saying that the prilosec and then prevacid have made such a difference for him that I absolutely believe he would be a very different kid, both emotionally and physically without it. When he was a baby he would scream in pain but now (without meds) he coughs all night long and basically aspirates from the reflux - regardless of how long ago he ate, what he ate, how he is positioned, etc. My personal opinion is to not worry too much about the medication for the short term but, if things stabilize for your son and he seems to be moving in the right direction, seriously consider some of the more natural remedies. It seems that his failure to thrive diagnosis means that you've got to treat whatever you can pretty aggressively and quickly.

I agree that you should be ruling out food-allergies, it's easy enough to ask and get tested for other things while still treating for reflux. My understanding is that allergies are pretty often diagnosed as reflux.

Reflux often goes hand-in-hand with other issues such as ear infections, allergies, athsma, and sinus infections. My son had ear tubes at 14 months and uses a nebulizer whenever he gets a cold.

There's a lot of stuff online - both regarding GERD as well as the medications. www.infantrefluxdisease.org has great message boards for everything GERD related as well as diagnoses that often are related. We also have a pediatric gastroenterologist and I definitely recommend getting a referral to one if you do find out it's reflux - while still balancing that with non-medical opinions like chiropractors or herbalists.

Good luck and hang in there!

Hi V.. As a mom of 4 kids, 3 of which having GERD, I understand your concerns. My youngest child, who is now turning 5, had it the worst and he had the "silent reflux" issues you are describing. The treatment you named is aggressive, but standard for symtoms you describe and it will hopefully work for him. My son ended up on Prevacid and that's done the trick.

1 / 3