Reasons Not to Have Adenoids Removed?

My son [almost 3 now] started having ear infections as soon as he started attending daycare. After infection after infection, I finally made the decision to have tubes put in. It was the best thing in the world. He didn't get any infections the whole time he had them. They fell out this summer, and now he has been getting infection after infection all over again. The ENT thinks he should get a second set, and have his adenoids removed [he is a bad sleeper, mouth breather, snores, and has negative pressure in his ears, which is causing his eardrums to suck in]. Essentially his eustachian tubes are not working [possibly due to the adenoids]. I've searched online a little and it seems like the only known negatives of having an adenoidectomy are related to the surgery itself. I guess I am wondering if there is any reason I should not go through with his doctor's recommendation? [Other than the fact that my family is totally against the idea of having something cut out of the body and are pleading with me not to do it. I might add none of them had even heard of adenoids before I told them what it is. They are also against the ear tubes].
One more thing, which of course I didn't think about until we left the ENT- if he needs his adenoids removed, why would they leave the tonsils? He gets red, swollen painful tonsils every time he is sick too.
I'm just hoping for some more input on the pros and cons. Thank you

I had my tonsils/adenoids out when I was 5. My son had them out when he was 4. His tonsils were so huge they almost touched across the back of his throat (he had no fever or infection) and they had become an obstruction. My son had a hard time sleeping (he snored something awful), a hard time breathing, and a hard time swallowing. It was so much better after he had them out.
If it were cancer, no one would question having a tumor cut out. If it were diabetes or some other life threatening condition, it could be criminally negligent to not treat it. Removing tonsils and adenoids when they are a problem just improves their quality of life SO MUCH. They can play, sleep, eat and grow without being sick all the time. Who doesn't want that for their child?

I would go ahead and have them and the tonsils out. After the last month here, I would love to have both of my boys' tonsils and adenoids yanked! For anyone who is such a naysayer, perhaps they haven't experienced week after week of ear infections, strep and tonsilitis. Basically, for some kids, the minute they come off of antibiotics -they have another infection. Without tubes, he could also suffer hearing damage from repeated ear infections. Do your research on the anesthesia, but that would be my only concern. It sounds like he's a prime candidate.

My son was getting infection after infection also. He was on the verge of getting tubes when I took him to my chiropractor. He hasn't had an ear infection since. My chiropractor said they can help about 90% of kids with chronic ear infections. It doesn't hurt to try!

This is your child and your family has no right to make decisions for you about YOUR child. You will make mistakes, just as they made mistakes. The information and demands they are giving you are totally wrong. I'm raising my grandchildren and went thru the ear infections, etc., with their mother and with my grandson. Ear tubes did help a lot when they were younger, but as they entered preshool & school they were exposed to more viruses and strep throat became a constant issue with the boy. Per the pediatrician's recommendation we had his adenoids removed but not his tonsils. It was explained to us that contrary to what everyone used to believe, the adenoids & tonsils are two separate organs. We were told that even with antibiotics, the bacteria/viruses that cause strep throat have a tendency to live in the folds of the adenoids and are not always cleared up by antibiotics because of their location. Once we had the adenoids removed there have been no other ear infections or strep throat. Please do what your doctor recommends!

My daughter had about 13 ear infections/plus febrile seisures and tonsilitis for a year when she was under 2. We had her tonsils taken out first when she was 2. I wish we would have had her adnoids out at the same time. A year later they did just that. She still snores but not to the extent she did. One ear tube has come out not even a year later. I would get a second opinion and see if both need to come out. She's just turned 5 and is doing good.
Recovery for the tonsils was overninte in the hospital and about 3 days after wards. She was running around after the second day. The adnoids and tubes were a day surgery and recovery was about the same. They give you pain meds to give your child for the first few days. Other than a fowl odor in her mouth for a few days she didn't have any side affects. Children's is wonderful about letting you hold your child after surgery and staying overnite in the room with your child.
Another thing to think about is double the surgeries double the cost. Each surgery for us cost about $800 out of pocket. Although it was well worth it I wish it could have been combined.

I would recommend getting the andenoids removed. My oldest had her tonsils and adenoids out when she just turned 4 and it was the best thing. She had always snored and wasn't a very good sleeper until she had them out. Once the swelling went down (within a couple days) she actually started to dream and slept really well. She gained about 5 lbs in a month (always low percentile for her age) and had better skin color where she actually looked more pink than grey. Her tonsils came out because she had a growth on them, otherwise they wouldn't have been removed.
You could always call the doctor and ask about the tonsils and why he's not having them removed, but I'd schedule the appointment. Just my thoughts! :)

Also- if you decide to do the adenoids (which I would recommend as a speech pathologist who works with infants/toddlers) then doing it at the same time as the ear tubes is very beneficial. If you do the tubes, then try to take the adenoids out later on- the surgery is MUCH harder on the child.

I had my adenoids removed when I was about 8 or so, and the tonsils were left in, of course I didn't have a tonsil problem, my adenoids were simply like 3 times the size they should have been..

You could always get a second opinion, I'm not sure why they would also leave in the tonsils if they get red and swollen, but they are probably trying to as invasive as possible. Tubes could be a great benefit to him, family who are fearful of medicine, while well-meaning, sometimes don't look at the benefits of medical advancements.

1 / 3