Reasons for Vomiting?

Okay, this sounds really crazy, I know. I am absolutely phobic about vomiting, and I knew that sooner or later, my daughter would throw up. Today was the day. She woke up and vomited on her bed. Thank goodness her father went up and did all the cleaning, and now I'm here wearing my surgery mask around the house like an idiot, and my daughter is running around and hollering like nothing ever happened. Can anybody tell me what might have made her sick just ONCE? If it was a stomach bug, she'd feel lots worse, wouldn't she? My husband said it looked like she hadn't digested any of last night's dinner. Sorry this is gross, but I'm totally freaked out at this point. And I'll say again, I know it seems like I'm overreacting, but this is a real, actual phobia I have, and I hate it! Thanks!

There is a stomach virus going around now, so be careful sharing drinks, food, etc...We have had it and almost everyone we know has had it. My son and a few others only vomited once. I thought maybe it was from allergies, but then he passed it on :> Stomach viruses effect them all in different ways.

from one phobic to another...yes i can happen only once...and may happen 1 more time...I know it is weird how kids can be sick and run around like nothing is going on.

I am one of those people who if someone get sick...so do I....by just hearing it.

But luckily the couple of times my daughter has been sick, I handled it without getting sick.

Personally...if you are afraid you going to get it...clean up the area with disinfectant and then take of the mask afterwards.

About a year ago my daughter began throwing up at night. She would be fine during the day but around two in the morning she would start getting sick. Her doctor sent her in for tests and it turned out she had acid reflux. She now takes a Zantac each night before bed. If she forgets she will get sick. We also began a food diary. We noticed that pizza made her sicker than other foods so we try to limit that now. Hope this helps. If she ends up being a child who throws up alot you can give her a bowl to keep by her bed. At least then it wouldn't be all over the bed. I know how it feels to have to deal with things you never ever want to deal with. I happen to be the same way about snot. Ugh! makes me want to yak just thinking about it! But as moms, sometimes we just have to cowgirl up.

Get some kitty litter and keep it at the house. I just buy the Hill Country Fare brand - it has antimicrobial properties, it helps with smell, and it absorbs the liquid quickly. The clean up is much easier after you pour this on and let it dry up and then sweep it up. I have a similar problem as you do, and this has helped me a lot. I still hate it, who doesn't? But, this helps with the smell and the look, etc.

Your child will be just fine, given how she is behaving! Just take it by the half day or day! If she refuses to eat even bland food(crackers, chicken soup, dry toast)etc., then she has a stomache bug! Not fun for either of you! My son has done this before, pretty much as you described it, is sick once, and what he has vomited, never digested! He was fine! Keep her plenty hydrated with clear fluids! I use sprite or gingerale, for both liquid, and for eneryg!

Good Luck, to you, keep wearing a mask if that is easiest way of coping!

I have 4 kids and they often throw up and then feel better....no fever. Just feel yucky and then throw up....no problem. i give them a bowl to throw up in and then it is easy to clean up. They have always given me plenty of warning. If they say mom my tummy hurts they sit on the couch watching tv with a bowl next to them just in case.

By often I meen maybe once a year but with 4 kids it feels like "often" I could be heat. or if they get over excited growth spurts anything really a child throwing up once and then acting like nothing happened is annoying but not neccesarily an illness.

That was so nice of your daughter to barf in her own bed...mine tend to climb into mine and then let it go! It's amazing how fast kids recover. I'd say it's totally normal to have a kid throw up then be just fine, no fever or anything. I'd feed her a bland diet for the rest of the day (applesauce, toast, bananas, rice are best for post-tummy sick meals) but be glad she's not still sick. As bad as chucking up a stomach full of food is, I can't stand to see my kids barfing when there's nothing left. Ooops, sorry to get graphic, I know you're sensitive about this subject.
Eventually, yes, you will have to clean up your child's sick. You may get sick, too, but it's okay. (Double for you to clean up, but not the end of the world.) Focus on the child, not the barf, and that may help you. Open the windows,close your eyes, hum or sing, you'll get through it.
I think the only reason it doesn't bother me too much is I was a bartender in college and cleaned up the vomit of drunken strangers...after that my own sweet baby's barf is no problem! :) I've also been a mom long enough to decide I'd rather deal with barf than diarrhea, no contest! ha ha ha!

P.: married mom of three boys (7,5,2) and also probably crazy!

My son has a very sensitive stomach. Whenever he has drainage from a cold or allergies, he'll throw up at least once - usually in the morning. He throws up and then he's fine (although he'll try to milk it so that he can watch TV!).

The virus that causes vomiting is one that you catch through contact - not through the air. You don't have to wear a mask (unless it's to shield you from the smell). I have successfully avoided getting it the last couple of times the kids had it by wearing gloves when I dealt with the cleaning. I also washed my hands like a maniac, used hand sanitizer and sprayed and wiped everything down with Lysol spray and Clorox wipes. It sounds excessive, but I didn't get sick!!!

Hope this helps!

1 / 3