Rearranging the House

Every now and then I like to rearrange my house - furniture, pictures and sometimes entire rooms. I think I do this more than the average person because when people come to my house they say "you rearranged again". My friends think I am crazy. I enjoy changing things, it is fun and allows me to add creativity to my house.

When my husband and I were first married this would drive him crazy, after 17 years of marriage he has accepted this little quirk and now just goes with it.

I would say I do a major rearranging about once a year and several small rearranging projects several times a year.

I also did this as a kid -

Anyone else share my "hobbie" of rearranging the house?

I am glad to see that so many of you also enjoy rearranging. None of my friends do this and they think I am crazy. My husband thinks that I am crazy, but he is used to it. My husband can go out for a few hours and come home to a completely rearranged house, even the heavy stuff - he is amazed at how I do it, I even get big bulky furniture throught he doorways without scratching a thing!
I also enjoy painting and refurbishing things.
Shannon R, I could have written your response.

We always did this when I was young, my Mom rearranged a few times a year. She always said it creates new traffic patterns and the carpeting will wear evenly. I don't know it that's true but I like to rearrange too. I also like to change flower arrangements to fit the season.

My mom and one of my sisters does. My sister just does it once in a while. My mom did it a LOT. She said it was easier for her to clean. Rearranging also made her feel more like she cleaned and made her feel comfortable. My MIL tried to, but I told her she can only rearrange her room. I'm the opposite. I have to have everything stay the same place, or it will drive me nuts. Once I put something where I'm comfortable with, it stays there forever. I just move it to clean and move it right back. Why? My brain is sequential, so it take me too long to remember where I moved stuff to.

I have thought about it, but in my house there only seems to be one logical arrangment for the furniture, so it has been the same for 17 years. Any time I come up with an idea for a different arrangment I find that it won't work due to the placment of a hot air register or something to that effect.

Oh my gosh, I rearrange my rooms at least once a month. My husband has gotten used to it. I insist that I can't really clean well unless I move all the furniture, and why put it all back in the same place? ;)

My biggest pain right now is that we inherited a piano. I love to have it, because I've played my whole life but since moving out at 18, never actually had one in my house, just my keyboard. After moving it five times or so, I think I need to just leave it where it's at before I break off the front legs!! (And yup, I am so rearrange crazy that I move my piano.) ;)

Yes, I'm always rearranging furniture, pictures, making different vingettes, etc. When my daughter was maybe 2, she would rearrange everything on the end tables and it drove me crazy. Her dad thought it was hilarious, me, not so much. Yes, she is the same way as I am. She currently has basically a mood board on her iPad with how she wants to redecorate her room (she's 15).

I try to rearrange regularly. The problem is my house is really small and there is no way to change things. I will move everything around, get frustrated, and put it all back. The crazy part of me never learns so I still try every couple of months. My daughter loves to rearrange and moves all the furniture around her room at least weekly.

Me too! If I had more time I know I would do it more often. I just spent a very satisfying weekend trucking a whole bunch of furniture upstairs to make my girls a "new" room- it was some ancient furniture I had in downstairs bedroom, I painted it too, it looks great! Once it was all painted and re-located I enjoyed trying to figure out how I wanted it. I'm so proud of the room, it looks great! For now...

I have one bedroom in my house that I just can't rearrange because it really only works one way. Sometimes I'll just stand in it, staring, trying to reconfigure it and make it work in my mind but I know it won't.

My college BFF/rommate also enjoyed "redecorating" and I have a couple fond memories of us up late, huffing and puffing, moving 3-4 girls worth of furniture to find a better or just NEW configuration for our apartment.

You are not alone i do it as well. In fact i just rearranged my living room a couple weeks ago. I have done it since i was a kid too.

I find that there are generally best places to place things and stick with it. I loved rearranging as a kid. I just rearranged my kids rooms and it was fun. But no, there are generally furniture arrangements that work best and constant rearranging to me means constantly not having your furniture ideally placed.

1 / 3