Reading Tutor Needed for 6, Almost 7 Year Old That Has Already Repeated K

I need help but can't afford Sylvan or Kumon. My son has already repeated kindergarten and still can't read. He is shy and acts like he can't sound out words. He knows the sounds of his letter but seems to get overwhelmed with blending the letters for words. Unfortunately my husband and I work full time and don't have much time to work with him in the evening or weekends on his reading and writing. I believe he would do better with someone else. When we try to work with him he whines and complains and throws little fits. His teachers do not have the same problem with this behavior. I would really like to find a student or someone who maybe has their own kids they are teaching to work with him to catch up and be able to do well in first grade. Please give me your thoughts and ideas on this dilemma.

K. A

K.,
First of all I don't mean to offend you in any way, I just am giving my opinion. I'm a full time working mom too at one point I was even a full time working single mom... I think it is our responsibility as parents to teach our children, and reading is something we can do with and for them especially at age 6 and 7. I know kids whine, but still set aside 1 hour every night and on the weekend, 2 or more hours, you don't even have to do it all at the same time, but spend quality time teaching your child. You aren't teaching them calculus, it's reading, you know how to read.... I hate hearing my kids whine, discipline them, if that means taking TV time away, play time.. do it, they might say ugly things like they hate you, well, later in life they might really mean it when they look back on their life and realize, hey if my parents would have just spent time with me, make me read, worked with me, give me some direction but no, they were tired because they worked all day, so I'm 2 or more years behind everyone else my age... how will that really make them feel???
My son was in daycare/preschool since he was 1 year old, I thought he was learning in there too... When he started kindergarten I found out he didn't know his ABC... I bought flash cards right away and I worked with him every day until he knew all the letters (upper and lower case), we worked on the sounds, I read to him, I had him read to me, my son was not going to fail kindergarten. My son learned, not only that, he's been a straight A student in the gifted program, he's in 6th grade now. I was a single parent at the time, I had an older daughter in school too, I had a lot on my plate, but my kids are my priority... Something that helps when learning to read, is find a book they really like, and read it over and over, when you read to them, point to each word. Then after a few times, have them read to you.
I understand sometimes having someone else teach your child is a little easier because they aren't going to act up, but I would really give 100% before doing that. My daughter is notorious for asking for help, especially with math, when I go to help her I don't solve the problem the same as her teacher taught her, I do it old school, however, I do help her, and after she's done throwing her fit, she listens and understands what she's doing.
Time is all I'm suggesting, work with your child, sure you've had a hard day and you would like to just sit back maybe turn on the TV and relax... You are giving your child more than you will ever realize. I once heard a pastor say that he's been with a lot of people on their death bed and they never talk about working more, they regret not spending more time with their family and friends...
I don't mean to sound harsh, I just think as parents, we need to spend more time with our kids, especially when they are young... They grow up too fast...
I do wish you all the best!

Go to the school counselor. They usually have leads on who tutors and has openings. You might also have him checke d for dyslexia to be in the safe side.

SO many people use tutors who are teachers just trying to make a few extra $$$ on the side. The going rate is about $50 per hour.

Another option could be a high school or college student. High School students ho are in the Honor Society have to do co many community service hours...this might fit into that category. So, check with your local high school counselors and honor society leaders for possibilities.

I know we are all very busy with our families and activities but your son also also needs to be reading at home, both him reading to you and you reading to him.

I agree with approaching the school counselor and getting him tested for dislexia. Scottish Rite has a great center that can do it, you need a referal from your pediatrician.
It's a good idea that someone else can take over the "teaching" and that way your free time with him is not a battle, but a fun and loving one.

I do tutoring in my home in Frisco. I work with children with special needs and behavior problems also. You can call me for more info, if you are interested. ###-###-#### and then I can send you, my resume and some parents phone numbers of children I work with.

K.,
I am the Director at Reading Friends. Our school is on the north side of Lewisville. Our program is for children ages 2-Kindergarten, but we are now offering tutoring for children K-3. We would love to help your son. We use a combination of MTS and leveled guided reading, in addition to fine motor practice and handwriting.
The details on tutoring are not on our website...if you are interested in learning more, please contact me directly.

Regards,

M. Senick
Reading Friends
www.readingfriends.org
###-###-####

hi my name is B. 22 year old reading turtor and great with kid's first of all are yall from North Carolina? If so I might can help if you need to reach me please email me ____@____.com

K.,
My name is G. and I have a 9 year old son that is
in 2nd grade now in special ed. He had to go to kinder-
garten twice and he is doing very well now. In 1st grade he
would read for his teachers but not for us.He knew the sounds of the letters but wouldn't say the words right
and we would get so frustrated with him.We got him
"Hooked On Phonics" and so did the school and this helped
quite a bit. Just this year he learned to sound out his letters and pronounce the words. He still has trouble some
times or shutsdownand won't try anymore. He has about a
10 to15 minute attention span and throws fits when he
doesn,t want to do something. I hope this helps, I'd be
happy to help in any way I could. My son helps teach some
of the younger kids to read in his class now.

G.

Good luck with the tutor thing. I also wanted to give you another option. Click N Read Phonics is an online learn to read program. It is very simple and engaging for children. The cost is a one time fee of almost $60 (I know I found a code somewhere to save a little money). There are 100 levels and by the time your child is finished with the program they will be a second grade reader. There is a money back guarantee. I am speaking from experience because I have been teaching my son to read with this program. Since you are busy you will like the fact that a lesson takes no more than 15 minutes and you can do 3 lessons a week out of 7 days.

1 / 3