Rash Under Lower Lip

My daughter has a red rash under her bottom lip. She licks and bites it all the time. Does anyone know what to put on it to clear it up or deter the licking?

Thank you everyone who took the time to share their experience and advice. We are doing aquafor and destin at night and after one day it is much better!

Chap stick should work, but I wouldn't use the flavored stuff. I still remember as a kid being more likely to lick the flavored stuff. Just use the regular black label one.

My daughter just had this, too. We used cortisone cream twice a day and it went away in about three days.

This may be Perioral Dermatitis. It is usually a red rash around the mouth/chin that is very irratating (and kids want to lick/rub it). It is usually caused by toothpaste with fluoride, but can also be caused by tartar control ingredients, or cinnamon flavoring.

If it IS Perioral Dermatitis, it will not go away by using over-the-counter products. Her doctor will have to look at it and tell you what you need to use.

My daughter had this. The way I've avoided her getting it again is to wipe around her mouth and chin with a wet tissue after she brushes her teeth.

Good Luck,

I would go with the Neosporin. I am constantly dealing with the same problem with my son. The Neosporin usually clears it up right away! Good Luck!

Such a simple solution. Flavored chapstick during the day (make sure they don't over use it) and slather with vasoline at night. If she doesn't like it on her mouth at night, wait until she goes to sleep. My son has hayfever and when he breathes through his mouth a lot he gets really chapped lips. The chapstick only helps so much. I wait until he is asleep and smear on the vasoline as he really hates it. Usually clears it right up.

K.,

Aquaphor is great for rashes and excema related irritations. Try put it it on a few times per day before she goes to bed or when she won't try to lick it or bite it.

Well, Our mouths carry yeast, so you can try a yeast medicine like MONISTAT cream. My son would get red flakes and cracks on his lips, and he would lick them and make them worse. I would sneak in after he was asleep and dab a little on the spot and let it sit there overnight. It was the only way to get it on there long enough for it to do it's work. 2 or 3 days - consistently applying it- would do wonders.

There is also stuff called BITE NO MORE, for nail biting. Apparently it is ingestible but it is cayenne spicy-hot, so it keeps kids from putting whatever its on ...in their mouth. You may not want to put it on an open wound but you could put a dab just above the sore so that if her tounge comes down it will hit it first.

You could also try vinegar (which is good for rashes and cuts anyway) and also TEA TREE OIL which can go directly on a cut or rash and helps clear out fungus and bacteria. It doesnt taste goood either. It has an added benefit of a numbing agent in it. This stuff would be especiallyt good if the rash was caused by an impetago bacteria.

Lastly, this might help: give her more water. My son would lick his lips more and even suck on his clothing when he was dry , dehydrated, or thirsty.

vaseline. She wont like the tasteor texture, and it promotes healing.

I found that lanolin (nipple cream) works really well, it is water resistant and tasteless. Also safe for injestion and clears up lips, under lips and china. Try it out you'll be surprised!

My son did this, too. His teeth even made a curved line on his chin that looked like a second smile. I slathered neosporin on it and lip conditioner on his lips, which cleared it up. Her skin is dry and irritated from getting wet and dry, wet and dry again and again. It also makes it feel like she needs to lick her lips. It's a vicious cycle. The lip balm really helps with this (unless it tastes too good!) Burt's Bees makes wax-free lip balm. Also, my son hated the neosporin, which made it an effective deterrent to his continuing to bite and suck on his lower lip. I would just say, "Oh, it looks like you've been sucking on your lip again and that rash is coming back. I'll get the neosporin," and he would say "Noooo!!!" and stop. Try to be matter-of-fact about it, too, because the more she sees that her behavior upsets you (it is attention afterall), the more likely she is to continue the behavior. Also, if the rash doesn't clear in a day or two with neosporin, take her to the doc in case she has something like a yeast infection.

1 / 3