Rash on My 3 Year Old

Hi ladies;
I have received such good advice in the past with questions I have had, I hope you can help me with this.

My 3 year old daughter has a rash all over her lower back, on her butt , and on her belly, it looks like diaper rash doesnt itch her, she has no fever, but has had liquid diareah (spelled wrong) for the past 3 days. It started this afternoon & seems to be spreading.

I have not changed detergent or her soap or shampoo, she hasnt eaten anything new but hasnt really had an appetite for the last 3 days. Any ideas what this may be, I thought possibly chicken pox but she has had her shots for that so I dont think that is what it is. I put some zinc oxide on it but it didnt seem to help. It does seem to burn her though she cries when I try to clean her poopy (she is still in diapers she has some delays and is in a preschool for children with disabilities due to a speech delay on other problems) Also her poop is almost white, I am guessing that is due to the fact that she hasnt eaten much in the last couple of days

Well when she woke up this morning the rash was gone off her back & belly but still on her behind, She still has the diareah. I called the dr & she feels she may still be fighting a flu that she had 2 weeks ago. She said to keep her on the brat diet & if she isnt any better by monday to bring her in, she is drinking lots of fluids & is peeing (and cries tears when she cries ) so she isnt dehydrated. I will let you all know if she is better by monday, thank you for all your responses

Does it seem to be affected by heat? My son gets a rash whenever he wears the blanket sleepers to bed. I think he just gets too warm. But his does go away.

She seems to have several symptoms you probably should get her into see a doctor.

There are so many viruses these days that cause rashes it is hard to say. As far at the white stools I would go to the doctor asap and have her looked at. Hope she feels better soon!!

What alarmed me the most was the fact that she has white bowel movements. She needs to be seen by her dr. ASAP. Please don't hesitate. I wish you the best.

Is is at all possible that she has developed an allergy to milk, does she drink a lot of milk? That sounds an awful lot like the kind of allergy she has. I would consult a doctor or maybe try taking her off of milk products for awhile, just make sure to give her pedialyte or something similar so she doesn't get dehydrated. This happened to both of my kids, but they were infants when it happened, but the doctor took them off of milk based formula and I gave them both pedialyte for a week to settle their stomachs. The problem cleared up for both of them. If it is something that simple, I would still consult a doctor to make sure. Good Luck. K.

Did you talk to your pediatrician? It sounds like more is going on than just the diaper rash, especially since she's not eating well and her poop discoloration. It sounds like the rash could be a sign of some greater infection inside her body -- often times, that's the case. Also, even though she had her shots doesn't mean she can't get the desease. The shots do not create 100% immunity. So go check with the pediatrician, sorry I can't be of more help.

L.,

Take her to the doctor today.

Hope she feels better soon!

Hi L., The rash you speak of and it's location sounds like roseola. On the trunk of the body but sometimes includes the face. This generally happens to children younger. The other issues I'm not sure of and I would suggest taking her to her doctor. Grandma Mary

My advice is to call the pediatrician. He/she will probably want to see her just to make sure. I know she doesn't have a fever but scarlet fever can start as a rash on the stomach if I remember correctly. Also, it could still be pox. At 3 she has only gotten one dose of the vaccine. They are 85% covered with that one. The second dose at 4 is what takes them to virtually 100% covered. It could also be a yeast infection. No matter how you look at it, she needs to be seen.

I hope you update us. I'd love to know what it was and that she is feeling better sweet girl.

Buy some cornstarch. Spread it all over her body. Buy some ensure. Make sure the baby has plenty of liquid.

I had the same problem with my son when he was about 3. It turned out to be strep. He had his on his buttocks. I would advise taking him to the pediatrician.

1 / 3