Rash on Buttocks of Four Year Old

My four year old son has red bumps all over his bottom that I don't know the cause of or how to make them go away. He is potty trained during the day but wears pull ups at night. His pull ups are soaked every moring. Could this be like a diaper rash? I have tried powder, A&D and Boudreau's butt paste but nothing has helped. The spots have been there for a few months and look like they are multiplying. He does complain of some itching. Any suggestions?

I did take my son to the doctor and she ended up giving him a steroid cream which cleared up the rash in 24 hours! Thank you for all the advice!

Please take him to the Dr. I have a friend with a 4 year old little girl with the same type of rash on her bottom. It is a weird virus that can last up to 18 months & is contagious. At least a Dr. can tell you what you are dealing with... and rule out what it isn't.

sounds like yeast, try letting him soak in the tub a few times a day with white vinegar added, just a few tablespoons, if that doesn't help try pedi, they might give an RX of nystatin cream to help it clear up.

This is most likely caused by food like eggs... see if it will go away if he doesn't eat eggs for a week or it might be some other food he's reacting too.

Could be a yeast rash that would need a RX from your DR.

Sounds like a yeast infection from the moisture in the pull-up. My daughter is now potty trained at night, but last summer or the summer before, she developed a series of yeast infections without being on antibiotics. I figured it was due to her full nighttime diapers, low circulation of air getting inside the diaper/pullup and the increased temperatures from warm summer nights.

My advice is to apply some 7-day yeast infection cream to his bottom morning and night for the next 5 days and see if that clears it up... And if it does, keep sone handy in case it pops up again--summer has only just started!

If they've been there a few months and are getting worse I'd take him to the pediatrician. It may be diaper rash. Does he drink a lot before bed? Maybe cut down on fluids in the evening? And possibly try a different brand of pull up?

After this long I would try going to the doctor. My daughters always had this strange thing that kept reoccuring, sometimes getting more and more - seemed like pimples - but they never complained. Finally I thought to ask when we were at the doctors for something else. Turned out to be a bacteria that actually is harbored in your nose - he gave us medicine that they had to put in their nostrils as well as on their bottoms. It cleared up, but it does come back on them for some reason - so we keep a tube of the medicine on hand and put a little dab on when a spot appears. Yours may be something completely different - so I'd go find out. I felt guilty that I had not.

Hi A.
My son has the same issue. His problem is a reaction to the perfume or whatever they use in the diapers or pull-ups. I buy dipers from the family dollar (thier brand). It is the only kind that dosent cause the rash.The little bumps would go all over his bum and in between his legs. I would try a differant brand without fragrance. If that dosent work ( and it should start pretty quickly) go to his pedi.
Hope this helps . Good Luck!

Try pure corn starch, it is used in hospitals all the time for rashes,also believe it or nt Malox thats right malox. Both dry up irratated areas. give it a try cant hurt....

1 / 3