Rash from Head to Toe

My 4 year old son has a rash literally from head to toe..Doctor can not see him till 9am tomorrow it's really bad on his face. I am very concerned his temp is 101, he is very tired, and has not eaten for 5 days. Now very minimal yesterday all day he ate 1 pizza roll but is drinking not the usual but little. He also was seen two days ago for being sick and we were told let it run it's course..Any help! thanks

thank you for all of your responses very much appreciated! I did take him to the doctors yesterday, I told the doc it was he be seen or i was taking him to the ER, So anyways he said he was not dehydrated and the cause was from his strep throat a few days earlier, he put him on more antibiotics and sent him home. Today he is better thank god!!

Does he have a sore throat? Could be strep that is now scarlet fever (just meaning the rash, sounds scary but treated very easily w/Amoxicillin). My 6 year old son just got over it, also had the high fever. Only complained a little about his throat but he has a high tolerance for pain.

take him to the local er now. just because the ped Md cant see him until tomorrow you as his mother need to take him now to the er. worse case senerio the staff there thinks you over reacted but you will never see those people again and truly who cares what they think...i personally could not wait until the next day. good luck

Keep a close eye on him. If he becomes more lethargic and is not going to the bathroom, he could be very dehydratd, which is serious. Keep pressing fluids, but if his temp goes up or any of the abovesymptoms worsen, consider the emergency room if the doc won't see him immediately.

As a mother and a nurse I would encourage you to take your son into the peds office and demand that your son be seen, they won't turn you away and then find a ped Dr. that will see a sick child when sick. Remember that is their job. Don't be intimidated They only think that they are God. I wish your baby a quick recovery.

There are too many commmon illnesses that cause a rash for me to even guess what the little guy might have. The vast majority of them are just things kids get once and they never get them again.

Unitl you speak with your doctor treat the symptoms and try not to get too stressed. Children can sense their parents anxiety and it gets them worked up, and then you get more worried and the cycle continues.

The fever isn't scarry high and not eating much isn't a huge problem (I don't eat when I'm sick either).

His not drinking is a problem. Get his favorite cup, fill it up and get him to take a sip (or more) every half hour or so. It will be an exercise in patience. Avoid straight fruit juices the acids can upset an empty stomach and can cause loose bowels. If you have any pedialite or other electrolite replacement cut it with water and get him to drink that.

Back when my children were little and the dinosaurs roamed the earth, I found great success with a comfortable chair, an extreemly large glass of water (complete with a twisty straw) and a story book.

It sounds like Roseola to me. My daughter had this when she was 1. I was pregnant with my second. It can be dangerous for pregnant women to get this so be careful with that. I don't know where you live, but I have heard that this is going around some of the Boyertown schools. As far as the eating and drinking, I would absolutely want my child seen right away.

I'm guessing Scarlet Fever too. My son had it last year. It's really just strep with a bonus rash. Antibiotics will clear it right up. I'd call your Dr and explain this to him, I don't see how they won't see an ill child for 24 hrs. I know from having strep myself that the pain can get much worse if it is not treated ASAP! If he still won't see him I'd consider the Emergency Room if your insurance is good.

when you go to the doc be sure to explain how the rash progressed:

does he look like he has "slapped" red cheeks? is the rash kind of lacy on the rest of his body?

did the rash start at the top of his head and move downward?

did it start on his palms and soles and move inward?

does it itch or no?

these kind of things will help the doc determine what kind of bug/virus or irritation your son has and how best to treat it.

for now be more concerned with monitoring the fever. also, i'd say to keep an eye out for any changes in his mental status - like being confused, complaining of a headache, that kind of thing.

all the best,
pax

S.,

My daughter just had the flu bug and broke out in a rash as well. It looked like hives or a raised rash that covered her from head to toe as well. I gave my daughter an Alavert and it did seem to subside the itching. Benadryl is a good one and is safe for the little ones.

Sounds like it is part of the virus that is running thru his system.

Be patient in the interim and try what I have suggested. If not I would take your child to the emergency room and see what they say.

My daughter's ped's office didn't do much either with her this past visit and I was rather ticked off, but you could also call the dr's office back and tell them that you feel that this is a true emergency and see if they could give an earlier appt.

God luck!

A. C.

As first an foremost a mom and second a nurse, If that was one of my little ones i would take him to the ER. And then maybe look into finding another pediatrician.

My kids experienced something similar before. It started out with a high temp for a few days with them not eating and pretty much lethargic. Once their fever broke they broke out into a rash from head to toe. I took them to the pediatrician who told me it was Rosiola (SP?)which is a common childhood illness. Its not dangerous and there is no medication for it,you basically just have let it run its course. Your son may have that but I would definately take him to the Dr. to make sure its nothing more.
-C.

1 / 3