Rapid Weight Gain?

From the first of May to the end of June, I gained 15 lbs. I've never had a weight problem at all before, but for the first time ever, I'm "overweight". I'm almost 5'8" and tipping the scale at 160 now. Until now,I've never been over 150 lbs (except when pregnant). I've been to the doctor to have blood work done to see if it was a thyroid problem or something, but everything is "normal". I wonder if my body is confused. I became pregnant with my 15 month old in June 2006. Ivy was born March 2007. I breastfed her until she was nearly a year old, when I found out I was pregnant again (surprise). I weaned her after finding out about the pregnancy, but miscarried at 14 and a half weeks. The D&C was perfomed on May 1, when I weighed 145 lbs. By June 1, I was at 160!! My eating habits and lifestyle in general hasn't changed. I did have radiation therapy done when Ivy was a little over a year old for a benign brain tumor, but I only lost weight then (was down to 138 lbs). Has anyone else had a problem like this after miscarriage or anything? I just can't figure it out!!!

Thanks for all of the responses!! I think I'm going to go back to the doctor to see if there is something else they can check before resigning myself to being a little bigger than I've been before. Keep me in your prayers!!

I had this problem many years ago, but it was not after a miscarriage. In a month I gained 30 pounds, while not changing my eating habits or lifestyle. Went to the doctor, who found nothing. Sorry to be of no help whatsoever, but you're not alone!

R., I just want to say I'm sorry that you lost your baby. I know how hard it is on you mentally and on your body. I have been through several my self.

Did you have your hormones checked? Are you sure your not pregnant again? Sure wish I could help more.

Seek a second opinion from another doctor if you have too. To make sure everything is all right.

God Bless you and your family.

Hi R.,

Sorry I don't have an answer to your question but I wanted to tell you that I also have a daughter named Ivy. She is just about 20 mos now, sweet as ever. Just thought that was cool because I haven't met anyone who has a child with the same name yet. Hope all goes well.

S. F

Personally I have always gained weight whenever I have weaned unless I had increased my activity level. Remember that was burning a couple hundred calories per day. Also when I hit 30 my metabolism slowed down and my weight increased to a higher level than normal. I do want to add that for your height of 5'8" at 160 lbs you don't qualify as overweight you may be borderline but not overweight.

R.,
God bless you! You've certainly been tried lately.
Check the side effects of any meds you may be on. I am on several, and at least 3 of them have the side effect of weight gain or very difficult weight loss. If that is the case, maybe you can take something else. Otherwise, we kind of have to live with it.
Best Wishes!

Rapid weight gain is a warning sign for several medical conditions including under-actice thryroid, diabetes, tumor, etc. Schedule an appointment to see your primary care physician. When I start to gain weight I eat less and exercise more. If you have done that let them know you have done that. If your diet and exercise has not changed and you are gaining weight let them know that.

If I were you, I'd get a second opinion. Rapid weight gain could signify something serious, or, of course, it could be nothing. Have you been checked out for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome? I know you've been able to get pregnant twice, but I have a friend who has it who didn't seem to have trouble getting pregnant either, and quick weight gain is definitely a sign of that. Good luck and God bless!!

Hi, after 2 babies I got pregnant a 3rd time and miscarried at 16 weeks, I decided soon after to have a tubal ligation as I could not deal with that again and I was happy with 2 children.
After my tubal I went from 125lbs to 150, and I thought it was just my body getting used to the changes. After a couple years of trying to lose weight I noticed I had other symptoms too, acne, hair growth, bad migrains, abdominal pain, irregular periods, depression ect.. all kinds of stuff was happening with my body.
Turns out I have a hormonal problem called PCOS and it has been messing with my body and mind big time.
It took 3 doctors visits between 3 different gyno's before I finally got fed up of them saying nothing was wrong and asked for an ultrasound....thats when they found my PCOS and everything was tied to that, so don't just let the doctors say nothing is wrong if you're feeling different, keep going backuntil they find the problem ,as women we know our bodies.

It may be a simple body change, it may be something else, but if you're feeling off get yourself checked thouroughly and make sure you're ok.

If you're experiencing other symptoms and not just weight gain it may be hormonal....

Keep us posted

E.

Did your doctor check your hormones other than the thyroid...have them check to see if you are insulin resistant. I went through very similiar situation, no real weight problem ,then after miscarriage at 14 weeks, I started gaining weight..it took me over a year to find out that I have PCOS...which is very complicated but evidently manageable. They decided that I have a roller coaster type of PCOS, where my insulin resistance fluxuates, as do my FSH/LH/Testosterone/Estrogen all fluxuate which is a possible reason for my miscarriage. I went to Nashville Fertility Clinic and saw Dr. Eblen for PCOS, she is expert of the condition. Good Luck...don't let doctors put you off...especially if you are gainig weight primarily around the middle;hips and waist. Best Wishes to you.

1 / 3