Rainbow Swing Set or Costco/Sam's/Toysrus/Menard's

We are looking for a swingset for our 2 1/2 year old and I am pregnant due in May.

My question is we would want this to last for at least 5 -7 years. Do you have experience with a less experience ###-###-####) lasting this long? Or do you feel your swingset withered away before you used it up. Please also let me know where you purchased it.

Thanks for your help!

We got a free (used) Rainbow last summer. It was 13 years old. Hubby had to replace a few boards due to insect/animal damage, but the thing is solid. It is giant one, so adults can even swing on it. Their 13 year old daughter still used the swing. Rainbows are expensive, but this baby is going to get 20plus years of use with no problem.

I did a lot of research last summer. We were close to buying the Costco or Menards kind but I am so thankful we waited for a truly quality set to come our way (we spent 2k on rubber mulch and extras, so it was one expensive free set!).

My friend had costco and unless your good about really taking care of it and spraying protector paint / spray or treatment to the wood it will look run down after a while. But we are in Phoenix, so this may not be a good example as far as how long it will last. Hers has kept up for about 4 years, but it is really looking run down.

My other friend had Toys r us and it did not last more then 2 years, but they did not follow through with treatment to the wood. Hers was smaller which may be nice because Costco is quite BIG and some areas of having a little one up there can be a little nerve racking.

We , however built our own out of wood and it also lasted about 3 years until it looked worped.

Metal is the best if you can get it ! Hard to find I know....but I have not idea on your weather and how it will hurt the wood afterwhile. The sun is very damaging.

We bought a Rainbow about 12 years ago and it has made it through 2 kids and a move. It is still a solid set. The kids don't use it much anymore except to sit in the tower and talk with their friends (they are 16 and 13 now) but our dogs still like running up and down the ramp, and my dh and I still sit up there sometimes on a nice summer night to look out over the yard. We had it restained last summer and it looks as good as new. Rainbow is pricey but very heavy-duty quality. Maybe you can find one used.

I've suggested to my dh that we put the swingset on Craigslist to find it a new home, but he doesn't want to part with it. It still looks pretty nice, I guess.

We got a Gorilla one from Costco and it can hold myself and my husband too! We paid too much, in my opinion, but it is really nice.
The Costco ones (I don't remember brand...Cedar something) also were rated EXCELLENT! That's the one I wanted, but don't have a costco nearby.

Loveofcats just scared me because I just built one that I want to last more than 3 years, ah.
Some of the time the less expensive ones are flimsy, I checked a lot of reviews before I just decided to build one. And I have a lot more swingset for the money, 2 big platforms connected by a bridge (the swings hang off the bridge) I have stars and hearts cut out of the cedar picket railing.
One of the platforms isn't finished with railings and I have the stain the wood... we stopped working when it got cold... I've paid $900 in materials. Probably will spend another $125 to put a picnic table under one platform (it's 5ft high) and a built in sandbox under the other one.
Whichever you pick, make sure to look up reviews... I swear I looked at hundreds of swingsets and thousands of reviews. Especially about putting it together, a lot of reviewers would post tips and specific things to do to make it easier.
Cedarworks uses northern cedar and says it is maintenance free and I think has some sort of guarantee but they are pricey.

Ugh, so jealous Matisse :P

Don't buy the little tikes wood set. It fades and needs resealed like all the woooden ones. I bought the little tikes endless adventures and hubby left it when we moved. we loved it. it is still there 8 years later and it looks good.
it goes on sale at toys r us occasionally and online.

1 / 3