Rag Quilts

I would like to know if anyone could let me know what is the best fabric to use for rag quilts.. Also is there and quilting classes in Cleveland, tx
Thank you

Thanks for asking this question. I had never heard of this before and now I really want to try it!
About.com says the best fabrics are quilting cottons, flannels, and homespuns, but don't use polyester blends.
http://quilting.about.com/od/ragquiltpatterns/ss/rag_quil...

I'm not in your area but try your local high school adult education classes. I use all cotton fabrics in my quilting projects. If it is new fabric it helps to wash it first before cutting and sewing.

I recycle old clothes we don't use any more to put in quilts, I've used denim, knit, cotton, tshirts
they make nice quilts

the ones I made that I liked the most, the fabric that ragged the best were the cottons and as far as softness, the flannel works good and is still easy to sew. I had started a quilt with some thick fleece....but it got so thick my old sewing machine wouldn't sew it. The quilts are so easy to make, that I taught myself. I did look up some instructions online and found some help for the questions I had. I wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 6" square for a beginner...
Good luck! These things are fun to make!

I've never really read up on it, but I had the same idea but a little different.
I'm going to use my son's old pajamas and clothes that are otherwise rags and cut out all the cute little patterns and sew them into a quilt. I plan on doing the same thing for my daughter, too. :)
Good luck, and have fun!

1 / 3