Question on Fever and Pedi Recommendation

I have a question for you great moms out there. How high should a fever be before a pediatrician will see a child? My son today got fever and hit 104 and I gave him tylenol but still the fever persists. When should I bring him to the doctor? Can you recommend to me a good pediatrician? Thanks!

For newborns, most peds like you to call if the temp is 100.5 (usually they'll tell you to bring the infant in right away). If the baby's a little older, the cutoff is higher -- 102 at least warrants a phone call (bring the baby in if the ped tells you to), no question that 104 definitely warrants a trip.

Good luck and I hope she feels better soon!

Usually the number is over 102. 104 is definitely time to go to the doctor in my opinion. Especially if you've tried tylenol. I use the Westchester Medical Group. All of the doctors there are great, in emergency situations, we've seen about 5 or 6 of them. The general phone number is ###-###-####.

DEFINITELY bring him to the doctor! Anytime a child has a fever over 100 you should contact the Dr. They can always advise over the phone if he needs to be seen or not. 104 is high and he should be seen immediately!
If you cannot find a Dr, go to the Emergency room.

Hi R.
You really should take your son to the ER. My Daughter recently had 105.9 for 5 days. We finally did have to take her to the Hops. and they gave her IV fluids and meds. (She was under the care of a DR. The whole time.We didn't wait 5 days!) Depending on the age of your son, it may be more important to get him there quickly. An infant need so to be seen by a docter for anything over 100.4. An older child usually 103 or higher is what my Ped. told us. Also, we had to constantly give her baths. DO NOT give cold baths, as that will make the fever go higher as the body fights to keep its self warm. It will also bring on chills. The water should be luke warm. The Ped. stressed that, because too many people give cold baths. You can also give Motrin and Tylenol alternating each dose. If the fever persists for more than a day or two, your doctor may want to do some tests to see if there is some sort of infection present. My daughter had a severe viral infection. That is why it persisted so long. She was dehydrated and couldn't fight it off on her own. Which is another important point. With any fever it is important to make sure your child is drinking. Staying hydrated helps with the fever. Try ice pops if they give a hard time drinking. I hope everything will be well for you and your son. Please let us know what happens!

You call now. A fever of 104 is something that the doctor needs to be alerted of immediately, especially if the fever persists w/ Tylenol. Call anyone- we use TLC in Fishkill,NY- but it doesn't matter who you call at this point. Find a doctor and have your child seen first thing this morning.

Take him to the Dr ASAP. My daughter had a febrile seizure yesterday from a high temp. It was the scariest thing I have ever seen. I am now rotating motrin/tylenol to hopefully prevent another one. Don't wait to have him seen.

Take hin to the doctor!!! I usually take mine if they get about 101 and Tylenol doesn't help. A.

R.,
104 fever needs emergent care and should be taken to an emergency room. Where do you live so we could recommend a good pediatrician.

Hi R.. 104 is a high fever and you should take your baby to the doctor as soon as possible. You don't say how old your baby is and what other symptoms accompany the fever. Both important in determining the severity of the fever.

You also don't mention where you live. I would be happy to recommend my son's pediatrician, it is in Rutherford, NJ. If that is a convenient location for you, send me a message and I will resond with their info.

Let us know how your baby does and good luck.

You got a lot of good advice already, but just for the future - low grade fever that lasts a few days is worse the high fever that goes up and down. My daughter had a bad case of pneumonia and her fever never went above 101.2. If fever persists for more then 3 days you need to bring your child to a doctor. You want to bring down very high fever though, because it does sometimes have underirable consequences. Motrin (ibuprophen)is better at fighting fever then Tylenol (acetaminophen). Try that. You can also try wiping your sons hands and feet and face with a wet cloth, or if he will put him in a cool (not cold!) tub. You can also give Tylenol and Motrin intermittently - give Motrin, after 3-4 hours if fever goes up give him Tylenol, then Motrin again

THATS HIGH! Take him to the doctor! Usually 101 is time for the dr. Once the fever get high like that you can alternate tylenol and motrin or just go with the motrin - seems to help better with the high fevers and thats what my pedia recommends.

1 / 3