Question About Vision Testing and Eyeglasses...

My 8 year old daughter has been complaining on and off for a few months about her eyesight. She says she can't read the chalkboard (and I'm about to have it out with her teacher, who refuses to move her from the back of the room closer to the board), and her eyes 'feel tired' when she reads a lot (and she reads a LOT)... at first I called BS because her best buddy Leslie had just gotten glasses, as well as my best friends daughter... now, I think she's really being honest. ESPECIALLY after that crazy headache incident that landed her in the ER one night (old post).

SO, since I have never needed glasses (but I'm confident I do now), do I have to take her to the pediatrician first? Get her vision checked there? And then what? How do you choose where to get your glasses? My BFF uses LensCrafters or ForEyes, one of those types places, but I know Sears and Walmart have them as well... how do you pick? Does insurance cover glasses? I don't even know where to start!! If she does need glasses, how often do you get your vision checked once you get them? Just as often as you feel you need to?

Do anyone's kids wear glasses? How old are they? Are they responsible with them?

Does anyone have a ballpark figure how much it would cost ME (with NO insurance) for a vision exam and glasses?

I had glasses from about the age of 8 or 9. It was the end of 3rd grade. I won't say I was 100% responsible, but I did do well with them. Losing them meant not being able to see.

I would start with the pediatrician and just ask if he/she knows of any children's vision programs in your area, not necessarily see the pediatrician. Just ask for info. You can also see if WalMart or another vision center like that would provide glasses inexpensively. You can get the prescription one place and look for glasses somewhere else. I feel that transitions lenses are not necessary, but you want plastic (or flexible metal) and scratch resistant coating.

I went to a local optometrist when I was a kid and I've been to LenseCrafters as an adult. It wasn't bad to go to LenseCrafters, but I never got the same person twice. If you go to a standalone optometrist, you can build a relationship. You may also find it beneficial to go to a pediatric optometrist. Many insurances have a vision component that covers or partially covers glasses. You might also have benefits under AAA membership or similar.

Get her vision checked yearly, especially as she grows. Nobody will sell you glasses for a prescription more than 2 yrs old. Her vision should stabilize when she's older, but expect glasses every year for a while. If she ends up with a strong prescription, try to buy the high density lenses. It will make such a difference.

Insurance doesn't cover it unless you have vision insurance, however, the pediatrician can test her vision with your regular office visit (so your health insurance will pay for that). Then he can at least tell you if there is an issue. If you DO have vision insurance I would say take her to the eye doctor and skip the middle man. If not, expect to pay at least $300 for exam, frames, and lenses.

You can go straight to the eye doctor. My friend gets her glasses at ForEyes and likes them and the service. Another friend gets glasses for her kids at Sears. Her son needed glasses at 4 yrs old. I would call and see what their policy is for kids glasses. I do know one place near me will replace the frames for a fee if they break, using the same lenses. If the store offers insurance for kids glasses, get it. She will have to learn to take care of them. My girls needed them and would just lay them down, the reason they do not have glasses now. I have separate vision insurance so we will be going very soon. You will need to find out if your health insurance included vision, some do.

First, call the principal and tell him/her that your child is having vision problems right now and hasn't gotten her glasses yet, and that the teacher is refusing to accommodate her by moving her closer to the board. My teacher actually informed my parents that she thought I needed glasses, b/c I also had a hard time seeing the board.

Don't take her to the pediatrician, that's just a waste of time and money. Take her straight to an ophthalmologist (call aorund to find one that accepts your insurance), they will have glasses to choose from. They have kids kinds too, that are more durable and scratch proof lenses. Or, you can get her prescription written out and take her somewhere cheaper for glasses, but then I would just go there for the eye exam as well (even Walmart does eye exams). Insurance will usually cover glasses and the exam or a portion of them, it just depends on how good your insurance is.

For contact wearers, we have to get a yearly exam to renew our contacts. Since glasses don't have to be renewed each year, you aren't required to get a yearly exam, but it is a good idea to since the prescirption only lasts a year, and b/c eyesight changes from year to year, especially in kids. I think I probably needed new glasses every 1 1/2 to 2 years or so when I was younger.

I've been wearing glasses since I was 7, then switched to contacts when I was about 11.

For you, without insurance, call around on the vision exam for prices. As for if you need glasses, it depends on the type of lens, for example astigmatism or something like that will be more expensive. A lot of places have buy one pair glasses get second half off or something like that.

My daughter got glasses this year and so did 4 or 5 other kids in her class (2nd grade). Must be something about that age. You don't have to take her to the ped first, just make an appt somewhere. Vision exams are less than $100. I can't remember how much plus last time I opted for the optic nerve photo rather than dilation, so it cost extra. Glasses, however, are pretty expensive. My daughters were around $300 so i definately opted for the replacement plan in case they get broken i'm sure you can get them cheaper and sometimes there are BOGO sales. But remember that as long as you have the prescription you can buy them anywhere, not just where you had her tested. Prescriptions are good for one year.

Usually vision plans are separate from medical plans. Not every employer offers them anymore so you will have to check.

ETA
My daughter's pretty responsible but she is still a kid and accidents happen so I expect her to tell me any day that they got broken.

HI R. - I was 2 when I got glasses - my eyesight is bad = think of the kid with coke bottle glasses and as I am far sighted my eyes look magnified when wearing them.........Anyway - go to an optometrist or opthamologist to get her looked at - maybe there is one who specializes in pediatrics. We have a vision plan though my husbands company - my company has everything but vision insurance. I THINK if you go to an opthamologist they will take major medical so if you have medical insurance, as long as they are contracted with them, you could use that......BUT - find out before by calling the office and asking about insurance.

OK - as for the cost - as I said my prescription is pretty severe so if I had no insurance my glasses would be more than $400 (I have vision insurance therefore at For Eyes my glasses were about $160). I'm assuming she'll have a slight prescription - the exam will be about $90 (seems the going rate here in the Chicago Suburbs) and glasses maybe $200.......Then again, depends on the insurance issue.

I just got Tommy two pairs of glasses, lenses, exam for 250. We all have vision insurance but never use it because you have to go here or here and it only covers >< much. It is just easier to find a good place out of pocket.

All of Christine's friends got glasses in fourth grade so she needed glasses. Took her for the eye exam, which is 50 of that above cost, they said her vision was fine. Next year same thing, I didn't believe her so she got a note from her teacher. So we did it again, she needed glasses.

I'd fist have the school nurse test your daughter's eyes, and if she feel she should see an eye doctor. Your pediatrician will send you to an eye doctor to get the prescription, so I wouldn't even bother going to see pedi doctor. Then you take the prescription to Walmart, Sears, one of those places to get the glasses.
Some insurance do cover it, but most of the time it's separate. I just recently signed up for vision insurance at my job. In the past, I've went the eye doctor without insurance (for me and son) and without insurance for the exam for glasses only was around $70, now he wanted contacts so it was around $130 or so. Walmart does have some good prices, you can get frames and lenses for under $50, but depending what you want you could pay a couple hundred too.

1 / 3