Question About Vaccinations

Our daughter had her sixth month shots on Tuesday. She has developed a hard, slightly red lump on one of her legs under the sight of the shots. Is this normal? Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks for your help.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who responded. Your advice was so appreciated and just as you said, the lump went away. I appreciate your help!

Yes, sounds normal. Bet she got a DTP shot?
If she seems fussy, tylenol will help. It will go away in a few days, promise.

My son did the same thing after one of his shots. Nothing to worry about. It should go down in a few days.

Yes, it is normal. Don't stress out about it.

From my understanding, a red place can be normal. But I totally understand how your child's reaction to the shots can scare you. Every set of shots has brought my daughter high fever, swelling, and redness. In fact, with my daughter's 6 month shots, she ended up with a bruise and then a spot under the skin that stayed there about a month or so. Each baby reacts differently, but if you feel concerned, call your pediatrician or stop in to let the nurse look at it and check. Hope that makes you feel any better. Good luck!

I had hte same problem with shots once. If you can try putting some ice on it. The advice nurse told me that if it doesn't go away 7 days from when the shots were administered to take her to the doctor. Good luck!

Yes - that's totally normal. Only certain shots cause it. I know the flu shot does and at least one other. Usually they will warn you about that. Unless it swells, turns bright red and feels hot - it nothing to worry about.

It is normal! Also a shot of penicillian does that. I would massage my babies leg with lotion after their bath every night when they got their shots, it helped decrease the pain and swelling. Good Luck!

This is common, the medicine can sometimes form a lump under the skin if it is not properely worked into the leg. My pediatrician said to work my daughters legs like she was riding a bicycle to evenly spread the medicine. I would keep a close eye on it and if it gets any worse in the next few days, I would take her back in for a follow-up. I hope this advice helps.

I am a medical assistant mother of a 4 year old little girl and a 2 month old little girl.

Hello-
This is very normal. Some of the shots basically sit under the skin for awhile. Most docs and nurses will tell you to rub on it a couple times a day so that it disperses the shot and helps the lump go away. But I can tell you from expierence this is very uncomfortable for the kids and they will cry. My husband is better at doing this for me since I hate to see them cry. He works in the medical field and things like that don't bother him. Hope this helps have a great day.

1 / 3