Question About Toddler's Poop

I have a question about my son's poop- sorry if this is kind of gross. He'll be two years old next month, and his bm's are still about the same consistency that they were when he was a newborn- I also have a newborn, so it's easy to compare. It isn't quite diarrhea most of the time, but it's still very mushy and without form. I breastfed him until he was 15 months, and he eats a very healthy diet now- I try to keep sweets and anything processed out of our house, though I don't become the Food Police about it. He eats a lot of fruits and veggies (more fruit than veggies), and eats a decent amount of potatoes, pasta, rice, etc. He also does not drink juice, and has only recently been able to start drinking milk or eating dairy of any sort.

Is this normal, or is this something I should talk to his pediatrician about? Has anyone else experienced this if it is not normal?

Thanks! There were some good suggestions that I'm going to try. Colin does eat bananas quite a bit- two or three a day if I let him (usually it's his daddy who gives him the second or third!). I'll try the food diary and see if I can find anything that's seeming to cause it, but it's good to know that this is probably normal. It makes me feel a lot better.

A., you have some great advice already! I just wanted to add that although I agree that it either too much fruit, or possibly lactose intolerance, that wheat (or other grain) allergies are fairly common as well.

If he doesn't seem bothered by it, then its probably fine.
I would lay off the fruit and do more veggies instead. Next time you go to the Dr. try to remember to bring it up and see what they say.

My son will also be 2 next month and I have wondered if this is normal, very rarely will his poop be solid most of the time just squish! Hopefully at some point it will become solid.

You got a lot of good advice and I wouldn't want to tell you not to talk to your doc if you're unsure, by any means!
But my little guy's diapers are often a mess. Not liquidy like diarrhea but more like paste. But think about it, if he has a good amount of fiber in his diet, his poops are going to be on the softer side. (That's healthy) And if you squish a softer poop into a diaper that's pushed up against your bottom, it's going to squish, right? Try to have him poop on the potty once and see what "shape" it is. I bet it'll look like a "normal" poop!:)

Hi A.-it's probably a good idea to bring it up with you pediatrician but with that said I can tell you that we went through the same thing with our 14 month old who also likes his fruits more than veggies. He was eating a lot of mandarin oranges and when we backed off on letting him have them so much, his poops firmed up. Hope this is helpful to you, good luck.

My 2 year, 5 month old daughter has the same type/consistency of poop. The color is still brownish (as opposed to yellow when she was a newborn), and the consistency is usually soft/squishy. She has a similar diet to your son. I too was concerned and asked my pediatrician about it. She said that there is a very wide variety of normal when it comes to BM's, and that many times healthy poop will not be as formed as others. No worries here. Hope this sets your mind at ease.

S. J.

Sometimes a toddlers body has to get adjusted to new foods, or drinks. Since they are small, and their immunes systems are different than ours, that explain it a bit. It would be a good idea to ask the doc if its normal. I never thought anything of it when my boys were small.

My son was the same. He didn't outgrow that until maybe age 3. We had the hardest time finding diapers that didn't leak! In hindsight, we know now that he is lactose intolerant, although I am not sure if that was the problem, as I was breastfeeding the whole first year. He can eat cheese and yogurt, but you could try lactaid milk just to see. My daughter was normal, but my son was first so I did't notice. My son also drank regular milk until he was 4, but then started complaining about his stomach hurting whenever he had milk. I caught it early because my husband had been diagnosed as lactose intolerant not too long before that.

About me: Science teacher, with 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter, married 11 years.

Hi A.!

This is normal in our home. Also my sister's home. All 4 of the boys had this same thing. They are pretty normal now, and are above 3. I wouldn't worry, as long as he's eating and drinking regularly.

:o) N.

I am a pediatric nurse and I don't think your child's bowel movemoments should be that runny at 2 yrs old. It sounds like he is either lactose intolerant or may be allergic to something he is eating. You may want to keep a food journal and note what his BM's are like. Also, keep track of how often he is going to the bathroom, your pediatrician will want to know that. I do think you should talk to your doctor about it.

1 / 3