Question About the Danger of Drop-Side Cribs

So following up on the last post, I am looking for information on what the ACTUAL dangers of drop side cribs are.

I am not using one now, and all this started after my son needed a crib, so I never got too involved in finding out what the issue was about. Especially in light of the fact that I co-slept with my son. He didn't actually sleep in his crib, so at that time, it didn't matter.

The reason for my question now, is that I still have his crib, as it is basically new, never used. And I'd like to have a baby in the next year or so, and I planned to use that crib again. I know you can get stabilizers, etc. from the manufacturers to convert the drop side cribs to stationary, but can someone tell me what all the dangers of the drop sides are?

Thank you for any info you can share.

I'm sure my crib is part of the recall, it's a Delta, but it's put away in the attic, so I don't know the serial number off hand to check for sure. But it was manufactured in 2005, I believe, and it's a Delta, with a drop side. So I'm pretty sure it's recalled! No reason to get too involved in it now, since I don't have a baby to put in it - lol - but will definitely look into it more if/when I do!

Just sharing an interesting article on the issue:

http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/some-non-ma...

This is the link regarding the recalls from Delta. Essentially a piece can break allowing the side to drop and entrap or suffocate baby.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09017.html

The main reason as excerted from the artice is

"Failure to use or install safety pegs can cause an entrapment and suffocation risk to infants and toddlers.
When the safety pegs in the base of each leg of the crib are missing from the lower track, the crib locks can disengage and detach if lowered below the peg hole, creating a hazardous gap. This gap can lead to the entrapment and suffocation of an infant or toddler.
CPSC staff is aware of a death of an 8-month-old child who became entrapped and suffocated when the drop side of the crib detached in a reassembled crib where the safety pegs were not installed. CPSC is also aware of two entrapments and nine disengagement incidents in cribs where the safety pegs were missing."

I personally think it isn't the cribs but the lack of care and responsibility on a parents part. I mean if they were put together correctly or no haphazardly re-assembled these babies would be ok. We ALL grew up in drop side cribs. We are becoming a society who needs protection from ourselves , which is scary. All manufacturers I know of are offering kits to stabalize the sides so that they don't drop anymore and these kits are free.

I don't mean to sound harsh, I am just frustrated with the lack of responsibility some people take for caring for the most precious things that we have.

I agree with the previous post. Drop side cribs are only dangerous if not properly taken care of and assembled. I have 3 kids and want another and plan on using the drop side crib I currently have for any future child(ren). I just make sure that the crib is assembled and no missing or broken pieces. Never had any problems!!

My understanding is that the bottom part of the drop side can pop out of the tracks. If that happens, the baby can get trapped in between the side and the mattress, causing them to suffocate. Chances are, your crib has either been recalled or has the manufacturer has issued the stabilizers. You should be able to look up the manufacturer of your crib and the model number to see if it's been recalled.

This just another attempt from do gooders to take away more of your rights. There is nothing wrong with drop side cribs. The trouble is operator error and cheap plastic manufacturing. Don 't be bamboozled into believing everything the government tells you.

My daughter was in a drop crib from 3 months to 2 1/2. We loved that crib and never had a problem. You have to use your own judgement though

Children die or get hurt falling off of playground structures, playing sports (football, soccer, hockey), riding in cars (which is actually the #1 cause of death in children I believe), walking along the side of the road....So many things happen in life!!! While I certainly feel terrible for the parents that have lost their children the number isn't so high that I think they should be banned! "Since 2001, drop-side cribs have been implicated in the deaths of 32 infants and toddlers and are suspected in 14 others. Improper assembly and hardware failure can cause the drop-side of the cribs to dislodge, creating a gap in which a baby can smother or strangle." I wonder how many children have died in car accidents since 2001? Approximately 533 deaths A YEAR are due to MV accidents. (FYI, we had a car accident when my son was a newborn, 3 weeks old, and spent 2 months in the hospital...one of those months on life support. It was horrible)
Just putting it into perspective I guess.....Are the powers that be going to tell us that we can't drive our children anywhere anymore because of the high probability of death or injury? I highly doubt it.
What I see when I look up the recall is that there is something you can get to steady the drop side and that a lot of these injuries or deaths were improper assembly or hardware failure.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Me and my husband had one, and before we put the stabilizers on it he leaned over the side of it and it the side fell down. We heard after that this had happened with other parents with their children leading on it or shaking the side as they got older, but after we put the stabilizers on our crib you could almost sit on it and it wouldn't fall. So I would say if you want to keep your crib that is fine just get the stabilizers.

The danger is that the bottom of the drop side can become detached from the crib, and the baby can fall through the crack and suffocate.

1 / 3