Question About How Far Apart Your Kids Eyes Are?

Hello ladies...
I have a 3 month old beautiful baby girl and something about her face is just a bit off.
We have all noticed something but couldnt put our finger on it. When looking at her straight on her eyes and nose do not seem to be placed correctly. Her nose is kinda big and very wide at the top by the eyes. while I was feeding her last night I realized that her left eye is further apart than her right. Up untill now I thought it was her nose. After looking at my boys and everyone else in the family some of us have this and some not. Between my sister and I we have 7 kids and none of them have had anything that was this obvious. I know I am probably just being overly picky but I am concerned that we all have noticed it. Strangers probably couldn't notice (I hope). I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Dont get me wrong I am happy she is healthy, it is just that she is our only girl and I am sure I am being overly sensitive about her looks. Could it be she still has puffiness or baby fat in her nose she will grow into?

It may be that she just has to grow into her face as silly as that sounds. My second wasnt not cute he just had a very scrunchy face and we all thought he was funny looking but he eventually grew into it and is cutier then ever... He was a very cubby baby so i think that was part of the deal was he needed to lose some baby weight on top of everything...I would just not worry about it for now and if people notice fooie them...its no big deal!!

Give the little Angel time. Being born is not an easy feat- everything scrunched etc.... Babies go through a lot of changes during their first year. If at say 9 months or so it is real noticeable, I would ask her dr about it. Otherwise she may very well grow into it.

Guess what? If the doctor say's it isn't interferring with her eyesight or breathing (nose) she will grow into her face. My Sister was that way and she has turned out to be the most beautiful girl in the family. When she grew into her face all the issues disappeared. If it is still there when she grows up just be thankful she is not like everyone else. My husband had his nose about torn off by a dog and his mother never had it fixed, but you know it gives him a character all his own and I love him all the more for it. He gets more sinus infections then anyone I know, but he can get that fixed if it bothers him too much. Good luck and just enjoy the healthy side of this beautiful child.

K., be assured that over my life time (I am 61) I have seen some ugly babies. Some babies have had uneven features as many of us still do. Ironically, some of the most beautiful faces are so much more interesting because of uneven features. But my real point is,I have seen really ugly babies mature into lovely, beautiful people.

Since this is your first girl, you may have really high expectations. I know that I did. My daughter was born with huge ears and tiny eyes. She had a quarter sized tumor on her forehead.

I had wanted her to be the Gerber baby! It was really disappointing and that was difficult to admit to myself then. But I was disappointed. My friend had the most beautiful baby and I was just a bit envious.

But what I know now is that a baby is a person, and moms grow to love who that person is and that baby eventually grows up to sparkle in so many ways.

Now that my daughter is 25 she has grown into her face and her ears. Her eyes are magnificent, especially with makeup, and she has blond hair with loose curls and a figure to "die for." Some people suggest that she model. She is bright and happy even though she has a learning disabilities and some medical problems.

She has grown into herself and past all challenges.

You have some exciting and rewarding years ahead of you.

Teen years aside, you are going to love your daughter so much over the years.

This may sound a bit weird but maybe she hasn't grown into her face yet? Babies change so much over the first year. The top of my daughter's head looked like a cone for almost a month, scared me to death!

Mention your concern at her next well-baby check to put your mind at ease.

You certainly have your hands full, hang in there. E.

I agree with one of the comments below, that you should ask your doctor about signs and symptoms of Down's Syndrome. Although, I'd really go with asking the doctor, and not trying to research it on your own and diagnose on your own. That will just really stress you out. If she is all clear from there... if you don't stress about it, chances are she won't when she gets older (assuming she doesn't just grow out of it).

Hopefully this question isn't offensive, but, is there a chance that you are overanalyzing her face, and there really isn't anything wrong with it? I can't count the amount of times that my husband just shook his head and left the room when I would worry to him about our son. And everytime, he was right... there wasn't anything wrong. But, you say that you have all noticed it.

Anyway - ask your baby's doctor at her 4-month appointment. An assymetric face can be a symptom of a lot of things.

Hang in there. Your little Gillian is going to grow up absolutely loved, it sounds like.

I've seen many, many babies over the years and I can tell you that their faces change as they grown. My granddaughter looks enough different now at 8 that I wouldn't recogonize her baby picture as being her if I didn't know that it is.

I'm wondering if your concern might be knowing that wide set eyes are an indicator of Down's syndrom. There are many other signs and it's rare that the medical staff, while you're still in the hospital, doesn't tell you that your baby has Down's or suggest that you have follow up.

If I were you I'd ask a pediatrician about this difference in her eyes/nose. Then you can stop being so concerned.

I think that as others have said, if you are really concerned, check with the doctor if you don't notice a change in the enxt several months. However, it is also important to note, that just about everyone is asymetric. I worked in an orthodontic office, and this point was brought home to me as we had to take facial xrays and line up the machines. Now granted, some are more off than others, but that doesn't mean there is anything to worry about. So some asymmetry is not always a bad thing.

1 / 3