Question About Gagging and Stomach Problems for a 4 Year Old

Hi! I have a 4 1/2 year-old, and she seems to be having a continuous problem with gagging on some foods and will cause herself to throw-up. Foods like apples, raisens, chips, anything really. She throws-up when she is worked up and upset too, but mostly when she is eating. If she eats something she doesn't like, she throws up. She is always choking when she drinks something, and she can not laugh without getting the hiccups. I don't know if the hiccup thing is related or not, but I thought I would throw it out there. Does anyone have any idea if this is a condition that I need to pursue and what kind of doctor would you use? My pediatrician is not worried, but I don't think it is normal that I have to carry an airline barf bag around - is it? At first I thought it was manipulative, but I don't think so anymore since it happens even when she choses the food. (she is very smart) Any ideas?

I have a 9yr old and at age 2 She had some of the same problems and I noticed her tonsils were very large and because of a law they could not take them out at that age then one day on are way home from lawrence my daugter was eating nachos in the back seat of the car and began choking and I had to slam on the brakes and get her out of the back seat and help her from choking to death. She was 7yrs old and I was so upset called her dr's and demanded to see them the next week we saw dr seagabret in lawreance and he took one look in her mouth and said her tonsils were way to big and were touching each other and he took them out with in a couple weeks. he is a very good ENT and I would sugest you to see him ASAP.

I would talk to a gastroentraolist(sp?) basically a stomach specialist. They might be able to give you more insight.

Hello,No it isn't normal for a child to continous gag on food's she may have some swallowing issues or upper GI,if your insurance doesn't need a referral to see a specialist i'd take her in and get this resolved and if it is that your daughter is making herself do it then no worries but it is alamaring to have to go through this with her.Good Luck and try to get in too see a new doctor.

My son (3 1/2 yo) does this too, and my pediatrician says he has a mild tactile sensitivity that he will grow out of. In the meantime, we just have him take very small bites and praise him a lot when he gets food down without gagging. Also, he drinks water with his meal and that helps to wash down the food quickly.

I will be watching to see what other advice you get. I know mine wasn't very helpful, but not many people seem to know how to deal with this. Good luck!

L.,

She could have sensory issues. Some kids just can't handle certain textures. There could be something not working properly in her throat or swallow reflex, etc. You might start by talking to a speech therapist. It wouldn't hurt to get her checked. Good Luck!

I don't know if this will help but my son when he was 4-5 years old had a gag reflex that he would throw up all the time. He had enlarged tonsils which the pediatrician wasn't concerned about because he was never sick. When we consulted with an ENT because of ear fluid problems, the ENT said the tonsils needed to come out. Once the enlarged tonsils were removed, he never threw up again except when he got truly sick. We had a completely different child when it came to meals after removal of his tonsils. Incidentally, my son was is very bright too and definitely a challenge. We too thought he was just being stubborn but that wasn't the case. Good luck!

You are right. That is not the norm to carry a barf bag around. If it were me, I would take her to the Dr. just to be on the safe side. Could be nothing, but could be something that they can help.

I don't know if this will help or not but I thought of it when I read your question. A neighbor of mine just told me that her daughter was born with adult sized tonsils. They found this out when they tried to feed her table food. They had to go in and make a larger pathway in her throat since the tonsils wouldn't let anything by. If your daughter has always had this problem it could be caused by enlarged tonsils. I would take her to an ear nose and throat doctor and have them take a look. Good luck!

My daughter experience much of the same problem. Our started about 3 yrs of age. We saw Dr. Daniels a GI specialist at Children's Mercy and he has worked miracles. I don't carry around ziplocs anymore! We have occasional "spitting" as my daughter reffers to it, but we are soooooo much better. Best of luck to U!

1 / 3