Pyloric Stenosis

Has any other moms had a child with pyloric stenosis? My 2 month old was diagnosed with this last Tuesday after I took him to his pediatrician b/c of frequent vomiting. When they weighed him he only weighed 7lbs. 4oz. b/c of vomiting all of his milk after feedings. He was literally starving to death. They sent him straight to be checked into the hospital and after an ultrasound revealed this was what was happening, they immediately scheduled him to have surgery the next mourning. He stayed they whole week in the hospital and I stayed with him the whole time. This whole ordeal has me terribly stressed. If anyone's else's child has had this, did they have to have surgery, if so they howd they do afterward?

Thanks to everyone for the kind words of support. Zackery is doing fine since his surgery, his wound is healing well, and he is eating every two hours and hasn't vomited as of yet. His post-op with his surgeon and pediatrician is this week. He had gained significant weight even bfore he left the hospital. He was 7lb. 4oz. when he had the surgery, and 7lb. 15oz. when we left the hospital, so he's growing rapidly. Thanks again to you all.

My son Logan was diagnosed with pyloric stenosis at 8 weeks old and I can tell you it was very scary, but he made it through just fine although he also had reflux so he still spit up quite a bit. I can tell you I know just how you feel, I never left the hospital the entire time he was there, in fact I only left the room once. He is now six years old and very healthy, I have also had two children since, a girl and boy and neither have had any problems.

C.,

I am in the medical field in Raleigh. First off I hope you and little Zackery are doing well. Is he having any problems after the surgery? He should beable to eat fairly a normal eating schedule now. I have typed some info for. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact me. ____@____.com
Pyloric Stenosis condition that affects the gastrointestinal tract during infancy. NOT NORMAL. Can cause your baby to vomit forcefully and may cause other problems such as dehydration and salt and fluid imbalances.
Pyloric Stenosis is the narrowing of the pylorus, the lower part of the stomach where food and other stomach contents pass to enter the small intestine. When and infant has this the muscles in the pylorus have become enlarged to the point where food is prevented from emptying out of the stomach. This affects 3 out of 1,000 babies in the USA. Four times more likely to occur in the first born male. It has also been shown to run in families if a parent had it the infants has up to 20% risk of developing it. Occurs more commonly in Caucasian infants and affected infants are more likely to have blood type B or O.

Most that develop this are between the age of 2 wks and 2 mths of age. Symptoms usually appear during or after the third week of life. It is one of the more common causes of intestinal obstruction during infancy that requires surgery.

It is believed that infants are not born with this but that the progressive thickening of the pylorus occurs after birth. The infant begins showing symptoms when the pylorus is so thickened that the stomach can no longer empty properly. Its not known what exactly causes this. Some think it may be a combination of several factors. Maternal hormones. Another thought is that the thickening of the muscle is the stomachs response to some type of allergic reaction in the body. Some believe that babies with pyloric stenosis lack receptors in the pyloric muscle that detect nitric oxide a chemical in the body that tells the pylorus muscle to relax. Result muscle is in a state of contraction almost cont. which causes it to become larger and thicker over time.

I hope this is of some help to you. I do know that they should start eating 3-4 hours after surgery and return to a normal eating schedule fairly soon after that.

Hi, I have a baby that is now almost 10 months old. Unfortunately, he had pyloric stenosis. He started the vomiting when we was about 3 wks old and we finally found out what it was when he was 5 wks after losing almost 3 lbs. He had the surgery and is now doing very well. He has had no complications at all. I hope you and your baby are doing well.

I found this on www.Webmd.com a helpful place to look.

Pyloric stenosis <copy below from Web md ,sit addss above)

Pyloric stenosis is a condition in which a baby's pylorus (the connection between the stomach and the first part of the small intestine) gradually swells and thickens, which interferes with food entering the intestine. This causes the baby to vomit most or all of his or her feedings.

Vomiting caused by pyloric stenosis usually starts gradually and gets worse over time. As the pylorus becomes tighter, the baby vomits more frequently and more forcefully (projectile vomiting). As vomiting continues, the baby will lose weight and become dehydrated.

Pyloric stenosis can occur any time between birth and 5 months of age, but it most commonly develops about 3 weeks after birth. The onset of symptoms may be delayed if the baby was premature.

Pyloric stenosis is corrected with surgery (pyloromyotomy). Once a baby has the surgery, pyloric stenosis usually does not develop again.

This last paragraph is the best. Good luck and good health to little Zachery!!
S. M.

My son had the same problem, lost 11 oz in one weekend!! After surgery you could not tell there was ever anything wrong with him. He is now 14 and has had no problems since then. Thank God!! It is very stressful and worrysome for someone who has never gone through this or does not know anyone who has. I wish you the best. I the worst is over only good times ahead!!

Hi -- I read your question and everyone's answers. My son was diagnosed with pyloric at 4 weeks. He was down to 6 lbs 10 oz. He had the ultrasound and admitted ASAP. Next day he had surgery. Two days later he was a totally new baby. Now he is 4 months old and doing great.

It was a horrible ordeal for us, I hope your son is doing well as is mom too.

C.,
Good for you that you took him to the doctor and caught it right away. Actually, my Dad had this problem when he was a baby and had surgery. Not sure exactly how it went after the surgery, but he is now 58 years old, so once it's corrected he gained weight fine (acutally, now he has a little extra weight!)
Good luck and hang in there!
P.

Hi C.. I have not had a child with pyloric stenosis, but my 5 week old daughter's ped thought she might have it, so they sent us for the same u/s you all had. While she does not have it, they did tell us that if she had had it, they wouldn't have let us leave the hospital without a surgery consult and immediate surgery. I'm suprised they didn't admit you. The surgery to correct should be about a 2 day hospital stay and it's supposed to be all you need to stop the vomitting and start gaining weight. I have heard that if it's not done soon, there is a chance of death (which you know b/c of the "starving himself to death" commentt you made). Good luck. I hope all turns out well!

1 / 3