Putting Eye Drops in a 2 Year Olds Eyes

I have a question, my son is about to be 2 years old. I took him to the doctor today and they told me he has pink eye. They gave him a perscription for eye drops. Now, it is one thing to give a 2 year old medicine, but eye drops? I have tried everything I can think of to get the eye drops in his eye but nothing that I have tried works. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get the drops in his eyes? I have tried to put then in the corner of his eye by the bridge of his nose, but he just rubs the drop away. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Thank you everyone for all of your helpful advice! I tried every one of your suggestions. The one that seems to work for me is pinning is arms down with my legs with his head between. That was the easiest way for me. The first time I did it, he was crying and I cryed with him. I felt so mean, but then I remembered that he NEEDS the medicine to make him better. He seems to be getting better now. I think he is getting it in the other eye too. I started giving him a drop in each eye. Again, thank you so much for all of your helpful advice!

I've gone through this with each of my children (6,4 & 20 months). What I've done is: lay the child on his back on the floor, I sit at his head with my legs over his arms and my ankles over his knees. Then I pry his eyelids open and squeeze the drops in. I know this sounds horrible, but the medicine HAS to be administered for the child to get better and what I described above takes less than a minute and I give hugs and M&M's after it's all done. After one or two times of giving the medicine this way, my older children learn that it's easier to be calm and "go along" with it. I tell them (for eye drops, nose sprays or yucky medicine) "you can do it like a big boy or I can hold you down but the medicine HAS to go in." They eventually take the medicine calmly and I let them hold the tissue to wipe away the excess.

If he is wiping it away with his hands I would have someone hold him long enough for you to put it in his eyes and hold him long enough to last. If its the gooy type then use the patch to keep it on. I hope he gets over it soon. Poor thing. Good luck.

My 3yr old daughter has had to use eye drops off and on since she was 3mths old. We always waited until she fell asleep to do it. Once asleep slightly lift eyelid do the drop and she never knew a thing, we did the same thing with ear drops only in the ears of course. Hope this helps.

Check with your Pedatrician about alternatives. My son was 3 when he got pink eye and the presecription they gave me was a gel version of the same medication in the eyedrops. It still goes in the eye, but it's easier to get it to stay. Once you get it in it just kind of sticks to the eye and doesnt' run away like an eyedrop does. Worked really well when he was 3. Hope this helps. :)

You will probably have to lay him down on the bed or floor and straddle him with your knees holding his hands down if you don't have someone to hold his hands for you. Put the drop in and wait about 15 seconds to be sure it has gotten in good. At that point if he wipes it is ok, because enough medication has gotten to the eye itself it can do it's job. I know it sounds traumatic, but sometimes you've got to do things that aren't plesant for their own good. I am a nurse and this is how we tell parents with no extra hands to get those drops in. Good luck & don't give up!

The only way I could do it was to sit on the floor and lay him down face up with his head between your thighs and his feet facing away from you. Then you put his arms under your legs and can hold his legs down with your legs. Then you have your hands free to put the drops in. You have to pull the lower lid down with index finger and hold the upper lid with your thumb. Then with you good hand you put the drops in his eye just inside the lower lid. I am an RN and the pediatrician I worked for actually taught me this maneuver. All my mothers said it worked and I used it on my child who had blocked tear ducts and many eye infections. Just be glad that you weren't prescribed an ointment! Good Luck!

If you have ever been to the ER maybe you have seen how they handle toddlers. The ER's here use "papoose" type contraptions. You can make the same thing with a large bath towel or sheet. Just lay it out flat and then lay the child on top then wrap one side over then the other with the outer layer wrapping around to the back side (so child is laying on it) if there is enough excess like with a sheet, wrap a coule of times. Only the head should be sticking out and wrap fairly tight so they don't squirm out. this will inhibit the hand and legs if the sheet/towel is long enough. Then you should be able to use both hands to squeeze the bottle and hold open the eyes, and hold them there until the medication gets in. The antibiotic for that does burn, I have had it myself. I used this method on both my boys as toddlers and still have to now and they are 4 and 6. It still works. Don't worry about wrapping too tight, you want it tight enough to restrain thier movement. Hope it helps..

I know that his course on eye drops have ended by now, but I recently had to do this to my 5 year old special needs child. I did have to pin her down as stated, but right before, I would put socks on her hands and pretend they were sock puppets and she was distracted by this, enough so, that the eye drops were in and she did not rub them. It really worked for her.

1 / 3