Puss Pockets in My Throat.

I've had an extremely sore throat for a few days now. I decided to go to the CVS clinic this morning to get swabbed for Strep. That was negative. She just told me I have puss pockets in my throat and wanted to give me a numbing mouthwash. They hurt soooooooooooooooo bad I can barely swallow. I don't have my tonsils anymore. I had a fever yesterday and a really achy body but that seems to be gone today. I haven't had a runny nose, coughing, sneezing, etc. I tried to gargle with warm salt water last night and it hurt so bad my body gagged. My body woke in a panic last night because I felt like I couldn't breathe because my throat was covered in drainage and swollen. I don't have PCP anymore as ours just left the office. This is killing me and as you are aware, moms don't get sick days. And ideas?

Thanks, ladies. I ended up going to UC because my tongue was swelling and I couldn't swallow at all. Turns out it is Strep. Now I'll just enjoy my lazy Friday on the couch- and actually have a reason!

I know this sounds really awful, but it does work for sore throats-try gargling with warm water and apple cider vinegar. I make it with about 2 tablespoons to about 3 or 4 ounces of warm water or stronger if you can stand it. It will relieve a sore throat almost instantly and can be used as often as needed. Good luck!

You might try warm tea, also have you been running fevers? Sometimes it may take strep a while to come up.... How long have you had the puss pockets?

M. Rich
MOMS Helping Moms Work From Home!!
www.themomteam.com/richme4life

B., you need to be checked for mono. My daughter had it and it took us months to find out becuase no one checked for it. It would act the way you described and then she would seem to get better only to get sick again and again and again.

ive been told or read somewhere that in rare cases you could get tonsils back??? i have no idea if thats true, sounds far fetched to me. But sounds like some sort of infection, she didnt give you any antibiotics?

I get HORRIBLE bacterial throat infections 1-2x per year. They are awful, so I feel for you! Mine always test negative for strep, but if I don't get an antibiotic, they won't go away and eventually begin to errode the back of my throat. Mine have gotten so painful that I've taken tylenol w/codine to ease the pain. Eat lots of popsicles, take ibuprophen and/or tylenol, and see if you can get an antibiotic. It doesn't sound like a typical viral infection to me.

you might still have strep. I had the fast test come up negative, but a culture that was sent out to a lab came back positive. You could try an urgent care center. Good luck!

Ugh I had the same thing a long time ago. It was horrible, I wanted to die. It lasted about five days. My throat hurt so bad I couldnt swallow. I could see the puss pockets back there, eventually they harden up and I picked it out. SO gross but once that was gone it felt sooo better. Sorry you feel so bad, I know its horrible. Luckly I didnt have kids yet. I dont know how I would of done it. Hope you feel better soon!

For future reference and for anyone else you might be reading this, Strep does not always show up on the rapid Strep test. It is a tricky little bacteria. My SIL sister is a strep carrier and everytime they go see them, one of her kids comes back with strep so we have had LOTS of experience with it. Fever, sore throat, puss pockets are all the classic signs. In fact, the first time I got strep, the doctor looked in my throat and cancelled the test because it was so obvious that I had strep. If you have puss pockets, you need an antibiotic. I can't believe they didn't give you one even though the test came back negitive. I sure if they had the more in depth test the first time, it would have been clearly positive. I don't think that they can do that at CVS though. Next time just make an appointment with your family doctor. The copay is usually cheaper and they usually can squeeze you in for illnesses. Also, we have had lots more luck at Walgreens then at the CVS clinic. Walgreens only charges the regular copay instead of the specialist copay.

I had a similar problem last year. It ended up being thrush - i know gross! LOL It's basically a yeast infection in your mouth. I got it from a recent round of antibiotics but my Dr. said a person could get it at any time. The back of my throat went from painful to swollen and numb feeling and then it ended up on my tongue. It was horrible! If there is a chance this is what you have it won't fix itself. I had to gargle with an oral form of nystatin for 2 weeks. Good Luck!!!

1 / 3