Puppy Wood Chewing Problem

We have a 3 month old Boxer puppy who has chewed through most of our back deck furniture. He has now started chewing on our daughters play set which is only 1 year old and I am afraid our back deck will be next. Our vet told me to put tobasco sauce on the spots where he chews but he likes it and licks it off. This is my first puppy and I have never experience anything like this before. He is an inside and outside dog though he prefers to be outside all day. I have given him several rubber chew toys to keep outside as well as rawhides. Any help is appreciated!!

Bitter apple spray saved my baseboards from my dog. It is available in most pet stores. I used it once, and she stopped chewing. I did apply it to everything in her reach and then gave her a lot of things that she could chew.
Crate training is another consideration. My neighbors have an older dog with bladder issues and wish (way back when...) that they had crate trained their dog. Good luck!!

He is probably trying to lose his puppy teeth. Try marrow bones stuffed peanut butter. or try bitter apple on the wood.

http://www.doctordog.com/drdognewsletter/chew.html

You have a high energy dog. Part of the chewing may be teething, but part of it may be not enough excerise/stimulation.

I'd also call a dog trainer who knows boxers and how to get them to behave. You and the dog will be happier in the long run if you start training early.

I agree with the need for more structured play and exercise. I have also had luck with directing the dog to the correct thing to chew on. Dogs get tired of chewing on the same old toys. You need to have several and rotate them out so that he gets new ones. Good luck.
M. C

My family has had boxers for a long time and have lost many pieces of furniture. My SIL has found this stuff called sour apple to spray on furniture and other things and that seems to keep their 1 y/o from chewing.

Check this web site about puppies chewing.

www.perfectpaws.com/chew.html

L.,

I also have a boxer, she is now 5yrs old, but she loved to chew when she was a puppy. We used a product called "Bitter Apple Spray" we got it at PetCo. It worked quite well for us she hated the taste. I think it was made to spray on a dog who was chewing on themselves, but our vet suggested we try it on the furniture and moldings she was chewing. It might be worth a try!

Good Luck,

C. G

Hi L.!
I have a chocolate lab, and the best chewy I think is raw hide just don't buy those little sticks that look like pepperoni (choking hazard). Sometimes you have to wet the end the first couple times until the pup understands what to do with it. I don't know what to tell you about the deck, because some dogs are just dumb (no disrespect to yours) when it comes to hot stuff. We used to but red pepper all around the counter & on the trash can & my dog just licked it all up, but mouse traps worked. I know the "experts" say to keep a leash on them all the time & when they're bad, correct them (I think the experts don't have a life).
But like our kids pups do grow up & learn to listen.

I have an 8 year old boxer and I had a second boxer that I found another home for when he was 2 (long story but he is in a wonderful home with lots of room to run). Boxers need a lot of exercise as they have a lot of energy. Just being in the backard is not the same as getting walks. Do you walk your puppy often? My boxers have both done some major chewing but both responded well to ample exercise/walks/runs and dicipline. Keeping them in a heal during your walk to keep them focused then let them potty at certain spots along the way is key. Honestly, if you can watch the Dog Wisperer he really addresses how to keep your dog in "your pack" and you as the "pack leader". Puppies do chew b/c they are teething so it is good to have rawhides and chew toys. My 8 year old outgrew the chewing when he was about 7 months old. The other one...well, let's just say his nickname was the destroyer. He was very high energy and needed way more exercise than I could give him. Every dog is different but I hope your little guy stops chewing up all of your stuff!

L.,

If you go to Pet Smart they have a product that is called Bitter Apple. It is supposed to keep pets from bitting and chewing on things that he is not supposed to. You could maybe try that.

A.

1 / 3