Pupil Dilation in One Eye

I noticed tonight that my son's right pupil was dilated. He is almost 6 months old. There has been no difference in behavior, i.e. eating, sleeping, temperament.
Has this happened to you? Should I be concerned? I looked online but they give you the scariest scenarios or worst case scenarios.

So after his nap, he got up and they were back to normal! I called my dr and will keep an eye on it over the weekend. If it happens again, I will be taking him to the ER. If not, he will be getting a checkup on monday morning. Thank you, thank you to all who took the time to respond. I appreciate all of you!

How much different is the dialation in the right eye versus the left eye? If it is severe/fully dialated then you should probably take him in the his doctor. If it is just mildly different this can be normal. Mild dialation of one pupil versus the other can occur in children under one year of age from muscular weakness in that eye. The eye is trying to focus on objects, faces, etc and might not be focusing as well as the other eye is from this muscular weakness. Does your son also tend to lean/tilt his head to one side more than the other?
There are ways to strengthen these eye muscles with exercises. If you go see you regular doctor and find out everything is normal, you should come see me and we can work on creating exercises to help strengthen these muscles.
I am a chiropractor whose daughter has this condition and it is helped by getting her adjusted (removing nerve interference from the spine) and doing exercises to strengthen the weak eye muscles.
My office number is ###-###-####.

It could be Anisocoria which is basically one pupil larger then the other. My son has that. He gets checked once a year by Dr. Stager Jr who I absolutely love! His number is ###-###-####.
Definitely take him to see an Ophthalmologist to have it checked out.
H.

seek immediate medical attention. It is a neurological symptoma dn a red flag in the medical cummunity. On adults it is a sign of a stroke. God bless you and your son.

Definitely take him in to get it checked out. Most likely its neurological in nature and needs to be evaluated. It could be something very simple that needs just to be monitored to something more serious that if caught early the outcome would be much better. If your pedi doesn't have an answer, ask for a referral to a pediatric neurologist for a consult. Don't let this go undiagnosed and/or treated.

A.
I think you need to take your son in asap. It may be nothing but you do not want to wait and see its something that needs immediate care.
P.

I would get that checked out ASAP. good luck

Are you positive that it's different than the other eye? I would call the doctor's afterhours number and ask her what to do. Hopefully it's nothing, but with these things, you can't be too careful. Please call, and feel free to message me with what they say.

For what it's worth, I'm a nursing student, set to graduate in 9 months, and I would call ASAP just to be safe.

Edit to add: Yes, at 6 months old, maybe he fell backwards (still unsteady sitting up) or something and hit his head. I would probably take my son to the ER too, but I don't want to panic you. Just call the doctor right now.

One of my son's eyes would sometimes dilate more than the other. I took him to the dr. Nothing. It would just happen at random times. This went on for about 6 months & then that same eye started to "drift" just barely...so minimal that only I initially noticed it. Took him to an opthamologist and it turns out my child has VERY poor vision in that eye requiring glasses. I WISH I had thought of an opthamologist earlier so that my child could have really SEEN the world he had been in. This dr couldn't explain the dilation either but I thought it was all just more than a coincidence. Hope all turns out well for you.

1 / 3