Pubic Hair on a 5 1/2 Year Old.

Ladies, I am a Mommy to a 5 1/2 year old and last night as I was getting her ready for bed, I thought that she had some "fuzz" around her private parts. I could not have been more wrong, she is beginning to get pubic hair. I could not have been more in shock. I have heard about hormones in our food and milk and she has been on organic milk since she was weaned from breastfeeding after a year. She does get one carton of non-organic milk a day at school, but I didn't think that was anything to be overly concerned with. She is entirely on target for her height and weight. She is tall for her age, but not terribly so. There is not any fat on the child.

Do any other Mommy's have this issue? Help!

My daughter is getting hair on her legs far too early, we dont eat meat and use organic milk as well. The hormones are not just in milk they are in all meat, plastics and grains. The water we drink is stored in containers and sent through pipes that contain hormones. You have been doing all you can. Early puberty is just a fact of life these days, but i think you still have a few years before she will menstruate.

The hormones are in so much more than just milk. We have been eating only grass fed organic beef, free range/cage free chicken, eggs, drinking organic milk, ice cream etc (anything that is coming from animals) for over two years now. If it doesn't say hormone free on it, we don't consume it. Hormones are not good for any of us and it's another reason why so many American's are over weight as they age or even as kids.

Call your doctor/nurse line. My daughter was very young when I noticed, too. The think I caution you about is dont react. I had a look of TOTAL surprise on my face and she thought there was something "wrong" with her.

I was surprised to hear the low end in the range of normal does go to 5-7 yearss old depending on race of the child. (That surprised me, too). I made a frantic phone call and was reassured by the information the dr gave me. Hormones in meats, weight can be an issue, all sorts of things you and I didnt have to deal with as young ones.

Take a deep breath, make a phonecall to your drs office and dont let your daughter thing she has done something wrong.

This too happened to my daughter - she is now 11 years old and has not yet started her period. She did have to use deodorant every day and was shaving her under arms at 9.5 yrs old (so she could wear tank tops and swim with out feeling "different". She was referred by her pediatrician to an endocrinologist and here is what I learned: there are two hormones that control puberty. One triggers the body hair and oder. The other controls breast development and the start of menstruation.
She was diagnosed with Precocious puberty and he said to keep an eye on her, once she started breast development that we could expect her period to start a year or two later. She started her chest development last year and she is on target with the rest of her class as far as this goes.
As shocking as it was to see the early changes in her, they could not be explained, I was also told by her pediatrician that once she reached 8 yrs old it was no longer considered early onset puberty.
Another thing her endocrinologist told me was she was just ready to grow right from the get go, she was born a month early, had her first tooth show up at 3 months, lost her first tooth at 4. She is on the taller side, but not the tallest in her class.
We were very open with her and talked about her body and the changes that she was going through. I found some good books to look at with her and she is comfortable with her self and that is what is most important to me. She learned a few things earlier than I would have liked, but nothing goes as planned when you are a parent- you always have to make some adjustments:) Also - I have two other daughters who show no signs of Precocious puberty at all - so no I do not think it is the milk or other hormones in our foods, or plastics.

Although I too would be shocked and question "WHY!" at such a young age, I also think that this could be completely normal too. There is a range of when puberty starts, so maybe your child is just very early. Try not to panic or worry. Don't "blame" the hormones in foods or think that there's anything you could have done differently. My daughters have NOT been on "organic" anything, and this isn't happening to them. That said, I was a "late bloomer".

Know that this may be completely normal, for her. Although it is very early in the "range", it does happen.

Of course, follow up with your doctor and rule out any problems or troubles. But please, when you are in your daughter's presence, don't make her feel weird, wrong or different. Try to save your conversations with the doctor away from her earshot.

Best wishes!

Don't let her drink or eat out of plastic. I read recently that the plastic can mimic our hormones and start that stuff sooner.

Also I was a late bloomer but my sister in law got her period at 9 yrs old ..ugh. Also some ethic groups go through that a bit quicker.

If you are truly worried take her to be tested.

I was "fuzzy" long before puberty, my mom took me to be tested, everything turned out fine. In fact I've also been tested in adulthood, same findings, I'm dark haired and a mammal. My period came at the proper time about 11 years old and I've never really had any hormone issues. I'm just naturally darkly fuzzed in places.

If all turns out normal you might want to get into the habit of talking to her about school, while doctors said I was normal I was called horrible names by other children. Anyone a little 'different' could be a target, getting a head start on talking with your daughter can help her deal with any teasing or bullying that may come up.

Ok, I am in nursing school, and we were just talking about this same issue last week. There have been more and more cases of this issue. A lot of the times the blame is put directly on the hormones and everything the child consumes on a daily basis. I see that you have her on organic milk. That helps but what about the meats? And, the hair, is it darker or is it fuzzy light in color. My daughter is 4, she has some fuzz around her private parts, but my daughter is very hairy everywhere. I think I could braid the hair on her lower back!! lol (not really) But I have been told it is because she is so skinny. If you think about it, not to say our girls are anorexic, but when you look at someone that is really skinny, has not an inch of fat on them, they are a little hairier than your typical person! My daughter is very tall for her age but right on target for weight. I hope this helps!!

1 / 3