Project/craft Ideas for 9 Year Old Sleepover

We are going to allow my daughter to have 3 friends over for a birthday sleepover at the end of January. I am dreading it. :) Anyway, she really wants to do some sort of craft. I would categorize myself as "craft challenged" so am turning to all of you for ideas that would be manageable for me and fun for the girls. They are 8 and 9 years old and our 6 year old twins will be included too.

My daughter wants to do something with fabric. I do not have a sewing machine and wouldn't know how to use one if I did. I think she likes the idea of having something that the girls can cuddle with when they go to sleep. I know about the fleece tie blankets as they have made them in Girl Scouts so she wants to do a different project.

I welcome ANY ideas that you think would be age appropriate, fun for them and not too expensive or complicated for me. I would love to come to her with a list of ideas and let her pick. I do think she could be persuaded not to do a fabric craft so any type of craft ideas are welcome.

Thank you, thank you!

You ladies are AWESOME!!! Thanks for the fantastic ideas! I am actually now kind of looking forward to it. The ideas are very doable. I am going to discuss them with my daughter and see what she thinks. I am loving the pillow case possibilities! Thanks again for taking time out of your busy day to help me!

You could make sachets. Get some tulle and cut squares, you may be able to get pre-cut squares or circles, and ribbon. Put herbs in center, pull edges or corners together and tie with ribbon. You should be able to find dried lavender or rose petals quite easily.

You could get a couple packs of mens large white tshirts and let then decorate them as nightshirts. Puff paint, fabric glue, glow in the dark tshirt paint. They could even sew on trim, ribbons, patches of other fabrics. I have done this with my 3 yr old, so Im sure the older girls could do it. Get them 2 tshirts each so it will take up more time. They could even sew on beads and sequins, or glue on felt pieces with fabric glue.

My daughters friend had a sleepover last year and they did build a bears that the mom got from JoAnn's. They were only 6 & 7 at the time so the sewing involved was a tad bit difficult for them. But I do think 8 & 9 year olds could do them. The sewing was with a long plastic needle and yard. The holes were all precut and it basically was going in and out...really simple.

Go check out craft kits at Jo Ann Fabric's or a similar type store. My daughter got a sewing craft kit from her grandma last year for Christmas. It came with everything she needed to hand sew a plush door hanger. It was really cute.

For a fabric type project you could decorate t-shirts. The only problem is that if you use fabric paint it will need to dry overnight.

They could paint/decorate a picture frame. Take a picture of all the girls and give them a copy to put in their frame.

You can make:

-pillow cases
-jewelry boxes they adorn w/jewels & shells
-mini throw pillows

If you do t-shirts, make sure to put cardboard in the middle so the paint doesn't soak through. if you don't want to do t-shirts, they could decorate slippers. Check out pinterest too. I find lots of good ideas on there. You could also google easy craft ideas and see what comes up.

How about a cocktail napkin wreath? They can hang it on their bedroom door when they're done. I made one before Christmas and it was super easy!!! You can find some cute napkins (animal prints, bright colors, etc). Wreaths are pretty cheap too. I think I paid $5 for the one on my front door.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cocktail+napkin+wreath&am...

1 / 3