Program to Help 5 Year Old Learn to Read

Updated on January 16, 2010
J.H. asks from Shawnee, KS

I am looking for a program to help me teach my son how to read. Any suggestions? So many out there!!!

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

answers from Kansas City on

Start with That's a free site and starts with the basics and works up quite far. They work on the site all the time and it's very easy to navigate. Then, once he's really into that, you can pay 20 per month for

answers from Kansas City on

I'm not sure what kind of program you are looking for, a class or something you can do at home. But, I've been working with my 4 year old twins on Hooked on Phonics. They really enjoy it and they are learning lots.

answers from Kansas City on has great information if you want something to do at home. If you are looking for a supplement to school, we did Kumon Reading and had terrific success. They have a Junior program, too.

If you think your son has a problem with reading, check with your school district - they also have alot of resources. Good luck!

answers from Kansas City on

There is a phonological awareness class offered through the hearing and speech department at Children's Mercy South. This is more of a prereading class. It is for 4 year olds through 1st grade. Some of the skills taught in the first level are about 10 letter sounds, rhyming, and beginning sound. The second level builds on the first. They give a pretest to see where your child is and then at the end there is a posttest to show the improvement. If you're interested or want more information the phone number is ###-###-####.

Next question: Help with Reading Comprehension