Product to Get Out "Rat's Nest" in Hair?

Ugh, just found a really tangled, matted section in my dd's hair. She is very tender-headed, so we aren't able to brush her a lot, so I admit this is our fault. Any good leave-in conditioners or tricks to get this out? The last thing I want to do is to cut it out...any advice would be great, thanks! :)

If she does not want to have her hair brused cut her hair. If it is fine it is going to tangle a lot if it is not brushed right. Johnson and Johnson makes a product that you leave in to help with the tangles. May be next time she has a bath put some conditioner in her hair and leave it in there. hold down the part of the hair that it not tangled then take a big toothed comb through the part that is tangled. In general that is going to be the best thing to do with the hair when it is long and has tangles.

For myself, I like the Neutrogena spray on/leave in conditioner. It's very nice and might do the trick.

A few suggestions...

I find it is easier to tackle tangles when their hair is wet.

I find the children's conditioners to be 'light duty' (read - useless) so I use my own conditioner on their hair (Infusium 23 moisture).

For persistent knots I do use Johnson and Johnson spray in detangler.

You might want to try a wide tooth comb or a different style of brush such as a vented brush.

Finally I know Infusium also makes a leave in conditioner which I have never tried. Paul Mitchell also makes one called "The Conditioner" which is really nice (although I haven't used it in years).

I just use spray-in detangler, and I have been after my hubby that we HAVE to brush her hair daily, if not 2x a day. As curly haired parents, we forget since we don't brush ours like that, but her hair is stick-straight and babyfine, so we HAVE to. Aim for after sleeping and napping:)

Hey, S.,
I usually have to do the old "break it up slowly" thing. I sort of kneed the knot and pull it apart with my fingers until it's slightly looser and the brush a few times at the edge until it tightens up again and keep repeating. One little piece of the knot at a time. It takes forever and our share of knots end up sacrificed to the scissors :) But I have gotten some pretty scary ones out this way with no snipping. I've never tried a product so I'll be tuning in to see what others suggest! Now I see why my mom always made me braid my hair and never let me run around like a "woodland fairy princess" like my daughter likes to....Good luck!

Dear S.,
The conditioners on the supermarket shelf I do not think are as good as the ones that come in the boxes for women who dye their hair. I know that the conditoners in the hair dye boxes, e.g. Clairol, have excellent hair conditoners that really work well.
E.

I love Infusium 23 Leave-In Conditioner. I have pretty long hair (to mid-back) and I can comb my hair easily with I23. I started using it on my daughter's hair as well. For tough tangles, I spray it right onto the tangle and it comes out very easily.

My daughter practically gets dreadlocks in the back of her head it gets so knotted. I use a No More Tangle product (the one I have is Huggies Clean Team brand). I spray a lot of it directly on the tangle and work it out with a comb. I'm very lucky that my dd doesn't mind having her hair combed, but the No More Tangles is the only way I can get the big tangles out. It's always worse after she wakes up since it gets tangled while she's sleeping, so I always comb her hair in the morning and after naps.

1 / 3