Prescription Vs. over the Counter Prenatal Vitamins

Does anyone have an opinion on whether prescription prenatal vitamins are better than over the counter??

Prescription prenatals made me so sick and my doctor said that the over the counter pills were exactly the same... even recommended Flinstone Vitamins to take!

I avoided both perscription and over the counter. I opted for a natural prenatal vitamin, it not only provided you with the essentials that your body needs, but was also a great multi-vitamin. I continued to take it following my son's birth. It was a great helper while breastfeeding.
It is by Nature's Sunshine. If you're interested check out my website; http://www.mynsp.com/hab

H.

You and the baby would be better off getting your extra nutrition from fruits, vegetables and whole grains and by adding Juice Plus fruit and vegetable capsules. It's concentrated food, not a supplement (28 fruits, veggies, berries juiced and dehydrated - no herbacides, pesticides, sugar or salt remains, nutrition/enzymes stay intact). Dr. William Sears believes, due to the incredible research proving it improves help and helps sustain pregnancy, that it will become the standard of care for pregnant women. I have a great webinar on this, some stats on pregnancy results I can forward to you, or you can check out the research and what the docs say at www.WeThriveonJuiceplus.com. Good luck!!

I found an awesome prenatal from the herbal store I go to...as i was having issues finding a prenatal that gave me energy....check it out...its called Nature's Prenatal by Nature's Sunshine. I recommend this one or one without all the added things you don't need like dyes

I started out taking over the counter from walmart, and then switched to a prenatal from Maleluca, and I've felt better on the Maleluca one. Their vitamins are formulated so that you absorb more of the nutrients than you would from the regular over the counter, or even the prescription vitamins. I would be happy to give you any more information about Maleluca and how to get them, I've really been happy with the results!

www.workathomeunited.com/Joycita

i prefer high grade stuff I have been using "before baby boost" by sound formulas and this stuff is really high end. I get mine from momEmineral and her quality is top notch.

In addition to any prenatal, of which I wouldn't do if I were to do it over again, is to make sure of how much of these I would be getting:

Vitamin D3 - at least 2,000 mg a day adding more if I were feeling /are sick, up to 10,000 mg in that case.

Omega 3 - the important part of the Omega 3 supplements is the DHA especially for brain development which will happen around week 22 on. EPA could cause blood thinning which is a good thing for cholesterol and such but not pregnancy so look for one that is lower on that amount and higher in the DHA. Carlsons makes a good one.

Avoid vaccines. Do the research and decide for yourself what is best for you and your baby. Go to www.thevaccinebook.com for the latest of what Dr. Robert Sears as to say.

The absolute best prenatal vitamins you can find are the Melaleuca prenatal vitamins. They have a patented oligo complex that helps the nutrients absorb better than any other vitamins out there. Let me know if you’re interested and I’ll show you how to order them.

Vitamins and minerals are substances needed by your body to help carry out special functions. They help your body use the foods you eat. Vitamins are essential to life, and with few exceptions cannot be made by anyones body, but must be supplemented in the diet in addition to the food you eat.

Vitamins are easily destroyed and washed out during food preparation and storage. Vitamins are either fat-soluble or water-soluble. Vitamins are important building blocks of the body and help keep you in good health.

Vitamins and minerals can be toxic at certain high dosages. Vitamins themselves have been known to cause constipation and gas. While taking vitamins before pregnancy may help with morning sickness, taking them at the beginning of pregnancy can make nausea worse. Vitamins and minerals are nutrients that are essential to life. They are required in relatively small amounts, in contrast to the macronutrients like proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. It is important that the vitamins you select are easily asorbed into your system.

Vitamins, herbs, and other supplements are not regularly tested by any government organization. Only ConsumerLab.com continually evaluates nutritional supplements in a laboratory environment. You can compare brands on this site. A person's diet must provide all the necessary vitamins. Vitamins are natural substances found in plants and animals. Your body uses these substances to stay healthy and support its many functions.

Antioxidants repair the body from the day-to-day stresses of life. All fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants which is just one of the reasons why consuming large quantities of fruits and vegetables will keep you healthier longer. Eat the necessary amount of fruits and vegetables daily, check for recommended amounts.

Water-soluble vitamins are different. When you eat foods that have water-soluble vitamins, the vitamins don't get stored as much in your body. The body must use water-soluble vitamins right away or they get flushed out of the body. It is a waste of money to take mega doses of a vitamin only to flush them down the toilet! Any left over water-soluble vitamins leave the body through the urine. Water-soluble vitamins dissolve easily in water, and in general, are readily excreted from the body, to the degree that urinary output is a strong predictor of vitamin consumption. Bright yellow urine is a sign of vitamin secretion in the urine. Because they are not readily stored, consistent daily intake is important.

Fat-soluble vitamins are absorbed through the intestinal tract with the help of fats in the body. Because fat soluble vitamins are more likely to accumulate in the body, they are more likely to lead to excess vitamins in the body being accumulated in the body than are water-soluble vitamins.

Supplements are not substitutes. They can't replace the hundreds of nutrients in the foods of a balanced diet. Supplements do not replace a healthy diet but rather ensure that a woman is receiving enough daily nutrients. Vitamin supplements work best when taken as part of a healthy diet and not as a substitute for a healthy diet.

Natural vitamins are generally more expensive than synthetic vitamins. If you want to purchase only natural vitamins, be sure to read the labels.

Eating the right mix of vitamins and minerals will help you feel and look your best at any age. Eat iron-rich foods along with foods containing vitamin C, which aids absorption. Good sources of iron include dried figs and prunes, dark-green leafy greens, legumes, certain whole grains such as quinoa and millet, blackstrap molasses, nuts and nutritional yeast.

A variety of potent and essential antioxidants, that defend the body against the dangers of free radicals, should be included in any vitamin or multivitamin. Among the most popular antioxidants are: coenzyme Q 10, which is vital for heart and liver health, as well as for the production of cellular energy; selenium for immune functioning and possibly a reduction in certain degenerative diseases, such as cancer; and lutein, which has been shown to offer unbelievable visual benefits.

Most important is to maintain a balance. Consider everything you put into your body is also shared by your growing child. Drink water and Get plenty of rest.

If anyone would like a recomendation or to receive a cellular level antioxidant scan email me.

1 / 3