Prescription Running Out Before He Finishes Antibiotic

The liqued antibiotic my6yo son got for his severe ear infection is almost gone and he is supposed to have 5 more doses. I think we have enough for 3 doses but that's about it. I try to be really careful about dosing but i will say I could be off by a milliltereach time just because of trying to fill the little dosing dooo hickys, but still that shouldn't amount to a full missesd dose let alone 2.

So that is my problem, I called the pharmacy and was told that as long as he finishes it then his body will get all that he needs (sort of implying i gave it to him wrong) But I'm just questioning that, I don't want to storm in there and demand more antibiotic IF his body doesn't need it BUT i also don't want to not give him enough and have him wind up sick because the infection wasn't taken care of.

CAn any help?

I called the pharmacy first they say, my paraphrase that i probably gave him too much each time and that he will have had enough just over 7 days instead of 10. Or i'm sort of thinking that if they didn't add enough water that he would still have all the meds but again too much at one time.
the receptionist (nurse?) at the dr office hardly listened to me and just said she would call ing an RX for more.

I read these responses which varied widely, and then called a different chain pharmacy and was told basically the same as pharmacy number one. I"m still not sure what i will do. maybe next time i'll get pills.

Brooke, thank you so much, I am so frustrated because if they give you a dropper to dispense it and they know that will happen why don't they give you more in the first place!!! It woudl be totally diffrernt if i was not following the guidelins and tossing the dropper and giving it to him out of a kitchen teaspoon, but when you use what they give you they should compensate for it. arggg

You may have already received this response, but I don't have time to read through everything, and wanted to tell you mine.

This happened with my daughter as well and I was using the dropper method to give her the medicine. When she ran out before she should have I called the pharmacy and they asked immediately if I was using the medicine dropper to administer the medication. I told them I was and she told me that when you use the dropper, that some of the medication gets "wasted" each time, because a little remains in the dropper. The pharmacist gave me an additional amount of the antibiotic so she could continue taking it for the recommended amount of time...

I would call both the doctor and the pharmasist, have them do the math on how big each dose is supposed to be and how much was given. I have had an antibiotic for my child once that they had to put in 2 bottles to give me the whole prescribed dosage. Someone made an error somewhere. It's possible the pharmacy did not give you the correct amount to begin with.

Hi, V.:

Don't worry. You didn't do anything wrong. The Pharmacist knows that the amount given will take care of the infection.

There are concerns now a days that antibiotics causes resistant strains of bacteria. The doctors don't want to overload the body with antibiotics.

Hope this helps. Good luck. D.

The same thing happens with my sons antibiotic.Of course the person filling it couldn't of filled it wrong ! I would call the dr. and tell them that you don't have enough and see if they would call more into the pharmacy.When my son was younger,half the bottle would end up on him ! (he hated taking it and it was allways a fight)Even now,he takes it with no problem,I fill it to where it should be and I allways come up short....Let the dr. tell you if the couple of missed doses won't matter.. More than likely they'll have no problem calling you in more.Good Luck. K. S

call the dr and seewhat he says. lots of times they will renew it. in the uture ask the dr for a precription for a bit more medicine in case of misdosing/lost meds esp. if your child has a habit of spitting up the medicine. in the end it will cost you less money and aggravation! hope this helps. also if you are not comfortable with the pharmacy, maybe you should switch. Supermarket pharmacies seem to have pharmacists that give better care than some of the chains. Good luck!

I just recently had the same problem and didn't think I could have been so wrong with my measuring. My daughter's prescription was for 2 doses/day for 10 days. By the end of day 7, I knew I could only make it one more dose. I called the pharmacy first, then called the prescribing pediatrician. The doctor asked if my daughter was feeling better and since she was, we did not need to go out and get another 2 1/2 days worth of the antibiotic. I would call your son's doctor to make sure, but I can't imagine if your son is feeling better you would need to go out and get two more doses. You've done a great job- I think those syringes are really easy to over or under measure with.

maybe they didn't add enough water to it. Always ask for dropper when you get prescription and call up pharmacy, they should give you little more. most will.

He should be just fine. I did not give any antibiotics to my daughter for her ear infections til she was over 3 and then only if it was really bad, and then only a few doses. This was all with my Dr.s okay and I did the research too. I also have my own personal experience, where I had tons of EI's as a child and Antibiotics for every one and I ended up with tubes twice and allergies to antibiotics and EI's lasting into my teen years. My daughter is now 4 and has had only one EI this year, and likely she is almost outgrown it, without needing tubes or antibiotics. My son had worse EI's and I still only give him 2 to 3 days of of treatment to clear it up(many are viral and antibiotics don't really help apparently is what my Dr. tells me) and he is always fine, never had one come back. So apparently the Dr.s are now recommending a wait and see approach, at least mine does. And she says this is hopefully going to cut back on antibiotic resistant bugs and decrease the frequency of developing an allergy to it. And from my own research this appears to be true. I say appears because there is no data that I can I find that shows anything definitively. Anyway, I just wanted to say he should be fine without having anymore. But if you are worried that it isn't enough you could always call his Dr. Hope he feels better soon!

1 / 3