Preschool and Not Potty Trained

In florida, does anyone know if schools will accept preschoolers who are not potty trained. My son is 3 now but will be 4 in November, but he still refuses to use the potty for bowel movements. I think it is a mental issue with him, maybe fear of some sort, because he knows when to do it, what to do, but just doesn't do it and I am believing it is more than rebellion at this point. We have tried all we can and even posted here for ideas. I am not sure what my options are now, since I really would like to focus on our 3 month old.

It sounds like you have tried it all. Just wondering if you have tried not putting any underwear, diapers, or anything on him right after he eats until he goes to the potty? Would he go in the floor, or what would he do if you did that? I've been a professional nanny for many families and I have seen families do this with children who just would not go to the potty for bowel movements and it worked. They don't like it, but when they have to go, they go to the potty because they don't have a diaper to go in.

All the best to you!

He won't be eligible for VPK if that's what you are interested in for him. The cut-off date for birthday is September 1 and they wouldn't be able to take him unless he is potty trained. They do understand that some accidents happen though but they consistently need to be trained for school. But there are some daycares that might be able to take him but it wouldn't be free like VPK.

My son was well over 3 before he was fully trained for #2. The two things that pushed him over the edge was bare bottom around the house and a "treasure box" filled with dollar store goodies that he could pick one every time he was successful at #2 on the potty. It also helped that he didn't see the goodies until he was successful and got to look in the box for his first prize.

I don't think so unless there is a true diagnosis from a doctor. Sorry! Good luck!

it really depends on the daycare. the better quality ones will not except children who are not potty trained bc it is a germ issue. the teachers in the older childrens rooms do not provide adequate space or setups for changing a child. my nephew however had the same problem. he was over 4 when he finally started to poop in the potty, however he was able to hold it while he went to vpk for the few hours that he was there. if your son is able to control his BMs then i don't see where you would even have to let the school know about it. if he is unable to control it, then no they won't take him.

Daer P.,
In my area of Florida, Ocala, you have to be potty trained. Perhaps if you sat and talked with your child about potty training, especially the bowel movement, you may have some success. Try locating a book from the library to share with him. Also, he may feel that the 3 month old is gaining more of your attention thah he, so try to to focus on him a little more. I do know that after consuming meals, children tend to have bowel movements. With that in mind, attempt to have him near the bathroom with you and maybe try the book sharing during that time. Take heed as to what times of the day he soils his clothes and try to have him on the potty around that time. Hope this helps.

About me;
I am a native of Maryland, a mother whose children are all adults now and I reside in Florida. I am a former specialist for "The Head Start Program".I am a retired educator, supervisor of student teachers, staff developer for literacy, musician and a wife. Hope these help.

first, check with the preschool, even ask for their advice on what works. It depends on his personality.
My first was excited by the reward system, the second just wanted the treat; but couldn't care less about the potty; my third, well, came along 6 years later and I let the two older boys take over. He was in underwear in no time. Of course, he wanted to be like them!
And what about dad? He can show his son how to pee, how to sit down. Why didn't I think of this earlier?
He'll eventually get it. Try to be cool about it. I know the stress. Remember, we're not perfect; but we do the best we can...
Blessings

My son was not potty trained until shortly after his 3rd birthday. I gently pushed the issue before then but he was completely against it. I finally gave up and he did it completely on his own. So I would suggest to back off for a while. His school wants the children to be potty trained by 3 but realize every child is different so they work with the children. It doesn't take long for a child to see what his peers are doing and want to fit in. Can he go into some kind of summer program for a few hours a day? This may help. I would not worry, you have some time! He also needs some time to adjust to a new sibling. This may also be affecting him!

My kids went to a wondeful preschool in Boca called Seedlings. It's for 3 to 6 yr olds. Didn't have to be potty trained. Wore pullups. Amazing program. Run by S. Caruso of The sunshine Project. Highly recommmend it. On St. Andrews & Glades, behind the Universal Unitarian Church (not part of church, just utilizes the space.)

Dear P. O,

I believe they have to be potty trained for #1 and #2. Most school teachers are not allowed to help the children in the bathroom to protect themselves from being accused of inappropriate touching. I was also worried about this when my son went to preschool. My advise is not to rush him, it was the same with my son he felt my anxiety. Besides when my son went to preschool the children in his class were 5 going on 6 years of age. They do have programs for younger children in some places but you have to pay. Your son will be ready when it's time for him to start preschool. He can't start until next year right?

1 / 3