Preparing for the 3 Hour Glucose Test

Hi, I am 25 weeks prego and last Sunday, I had my 1 hour glcose test done. Results came back at 179 which was beyond the normal end of 139. I was not told to fast since it was a "random" test. However, not thinking, I did have an apple crumb muffin at 10, a teriyaki chicken burger and fries dipped in teriyaki sauce for lunch and took the test at 2:30. Do you think that could have made my number go up? In addition, now I have to do the 3 hour test this Sunday. I was told to eat a half a sandwich and milk/juice 10 hours the night before and fast at midnight to do the test at 8am. Was wondering why would they want me to drink milk/juice before the test? Also, I have read other people's posting and medical/hospital websites saying to eat extra carbs or candy bars the 3 days before the test, which sounds very counter-intuitive to me. I would think to avoid or lessen sugary/carby food days before the test. Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this? I'm praying the 3 hr test will come back normal... just dreading being on a strict diet and having to prick my fingers. Thank you!

Don't drink anything (other than water) before the test. You really need to fast. I would also caution against anyone telling you ways to get around the test (the carbs a couple days before) because the test is there to determine if you have gestational diabetes. Fooling the test just leaves you undiagnosed if you have it, which could be dangerous to both you and the baby. Diabetes is very serious and could lead to birth defects if untreated. While it is not fun (I was diabetic with both of my kids), you do need to find out if you have it so you can be treated and have a healthy baby.

I had the same test done with my last child. It's no big deal. Don't worry about what you do or don't eat in the days before the test. Just be sure to fast after midnight. The carbs/sugar thing is probably to see (as someone mentioned earlier) if your body can tolerate the worst case scenario...binge eating! However, any manipulation of diet either way, binging or starving, will skew the test and then you don't know if it's right or wrong. So just eat the way you normally would. What do you normally eat for dinner? Eat that. Then nothing after midnight, not even water, because that can make your body start producing insulin, too, thinking that it's going to be getting some nutrition. By the way, I hate to burst your bubble, but 3 hour glucose tolerance tests usually are venous blood draws, not fingersticks. It may be different where you are, but a blood draw is the standard. Still no biggee. Just roll with it. Also, they don't usually make you sit there and wait the entire time. You have an hour in between each stick and they should let you go run errands or whatever in between as long as you're back in an hour. If you'd rather just sit there and veg out, more power to you. But usually you can get out and about if you'd rather. And yes, eating probably did skew your original random blood test, but 179 is still high for a random test even after eating, so prepare yourself for the possibility of dealing with Gestational Diabetes. Again, not the end of the world, and all will go back to normal after delivery. Take it in stride. We're women, we're tough. If our ancestors could do it and live through it without the conveniences and medical knowledge we have now, we can do it even better! Anyway, you're more than 1/2 way there, so you would only have to deal with it for 15 weeks...yeesh, that's just a tick in time! Good luck, God bless, and, as Castanza's father says on Seinfeld...."serenity now!"

Hello,
If it was me I would eat just as I would normally eat throughout the week. I would want the test to be as accurate as possible. If your 3 hour test comes back that you need to be on a strict diet, then at least you'll know that you didn't alter your diet in any way and you can have piece of mind that your baby will be healthy. I had to take the 3 hour test and my results came back border line, but they didn't put me on a diet. I just had to eat one cupcake instead of two!!! LOL!!! Just kidding. The doctor will just ask you to watch your sugar and you'll be fine. Relax and enjoy!

I would take the 3 hour test, but call your dr. and explain about the first test. I would also let the lab techinician's know about the 1st test and ask about it. Ask the question's get the answers. One positive thing about it is at least you will know 100% if you have diabetes with this pregnancy. Good luck.

K.,

I have to agree with Beth- Follow the Dr.s instructions and do not try to cheat the test by running errands or walking around between the blood draws- the late snack is to get you through in the morning- you will be hungry.
I had GD and while it is just one more thing to put up with during pregnancy- the whole time I kept reminding myself I was doing it for my baby- I would hate to think the harm I could have dome to her if I had cheated the test becasue I did not want to prink my finger a few times a day or watch what I eat- Plus the added benifit for me was I gained less then 20 pounds during the pregnacy- and was below my prepregnancy weight by the time my daughter was a month old.

Hi K.
I'm a liscensed Lab Tech here in Calif.. I'm not sure why anyone would tell you to "eat" prior to a 3hr test. Our protocol is that mommies fast prior to the test..here's how it goes...we would first draw a blood sample and run it ..if the results come back o.k. we then give 100 grams of drink, if they come back high we notify the Doctor and follow their directions. If results are normal we instruct you to return for a blood draw at the exact hour of the last sip of drink.. between that time you are to have nothing to eat or drink..which could compromise the results.. it's a long day for mommies, some bring things to do read, knit etc. We do however instruct you not to leave the facility...good luck

Hi K.! I had to take the 3 hour glucose test with my second child and I ended up having gestational diabetes. It doesn't matter how you eat before the test, if you have gestational diabetes it will come out in the test. During the week before the test I did not eat any carbs because I thought it would help and it didn't. I was upset at first, but I learned how to eat properly and test my blood and it wasn't so bad. Bring a book or an ipod so you are occupied for the three hours. Oh, and the fasting the night before is pretty standard. I don't know anything about drinking the milk though. Good luck!

I've never done this test, but I'm just going to hazard a guess that they are also looking to see if your insulin response is normal or prediabetic. It would be good to ask them exactly what they're looking for and what it means.

1 / 3