Prenatal Vitamins - Boulder,CO

My husband and I are trying to conceive. I was told to begin taking a prenatal vitamin. Do I need to also take a DHA supplement? Do I continue to take my multivitamin?

Take whatever pre-natal vitamin you would take if you were pregnant. They are good for you either way. I had to switch pre-natal vitamin and was upset cause I already bought some that wold last the entire pregnancy and now I have extra but they said to just take them d aily after. Better than the regular vitamins.

The prenatals I take come with DHA. I really like them. Couldn't tell you the brand, though, sorry. They are the $4 Rx kind. Maybe a bit more now that they added the DHA. Most any doctor should be willing to give you a script. GL! Hope it happens soon!

There are some prenatal vitamins that have DHA already in them. Just ask your doctor about which vitamins contain DHA. I think the one I used to take was called Prenate Elite with DHA and I took it during both pregnancies. Good luck!

you can take them with dha but i have also learned that taking omega-3 fish oil(sell in pill form) can really help in this area. Prenatals help your body boost essential vitamins that will prep it for conception. omega-3 fish oil give more of the essentials too. Google it online to read more. hope this helps.

It never hurts to take a DHA supplement at any point in life, but I don't think you have to either. If you start taking a prenatal, do not also take a multi, you get too much of certain vitamins and that can be unhealthy. When you conceive, get a doula! You can find one at www.doulamatch.net. Have fun!

W. Nichols-Dewey, CD(DONA)
www.birthfirstdoula.com

M.,

Prenatals have more of certain vitamins and minerals - extra folic acid being one you will need more of. So when you switch to prenatals, you won't need the others.

The question is more which prenatals to take. If they are coated in pretty colors, they won't help you.

Talk to a good nutritionist, if you don't have one, look in Nexus. They can answer most nutritional questions.

A.

The biggest reason to take a multi vite is for the Folate. If you do nothing else, take a folate supplement. Once your preggo adding calcium is a must. All the other vites you get from a healthy diet and are not necessary...but take them if you feel up to it. GL!

When I was going through fertility treatments our Doc just had me on a regular multivitamin plus an additional folic acid to bring me up to 800iui a day. Then while I was pregnant my OB had me take the prenatal vitamin and suggested I take a Pro DHA, and this is the one he suggested https://www.emersonecologics.com/Products/EmersonMain/PID...
He mentioned some studies about DHA/Omega 3's during pregnancy making children smarter and more well behaved :)
Good luck with your conception!
H.

If you o on prenatal vitamins don't take another multivitamin... personally I have had 4 kids and preo with the 5th - I haven't found a prenatal that doesn't make me sick. So, I gave up on taking them... I just eat healthy and take a over the counter vitamin and sometimes a folic acid pill. I have had 4 healthy babies (the first 3 were 7 lb 4 oz and the last was 8 lb). I think the reason I have so many issues with the prenatals are how strong they are and I also have issues with iron... mine has always been high & they have so much iron in them.

Talk to your doctor before you start taking anything... he will need to prescribe the prenatals anyways. Good luck on conceiving and take care!!!

1 / 3