Prenatal Vitamins - Richmond,TX

Just found out we are expecting, so yay! But we are keeping it a secret from real-life friends/family for a myriad of reasons, which is hard b/c I *really* want to tell my children but they will tell everyone. Our ob doesn't see expecting women until the estimated 11th - 12th week, and I'm only around 5-6 weeks, I don't want to wait that long for a prescription. My question then is, what is a good generic, over the counter prenatal vitamin that I can start taking? My first pregnancy, I couldn't even take them b/c I threw them up immediately, but surely store brands have changed over the years, and my nausea gets better with each pregnancy. Any advice on good chewable pills or ones that aren't the size of a cow that is easy to swallow?

Rainbow Light Prenatal One. They're food-based (and vegan) and they didn't make me throw up, unlike the rest of the ones I tried.

if you look at the back of prenatal vitamins they are basically all the same, they only difference is some have iron and some don't (I would get the ones with iron) I just buy the cheap ones at walmart. they are less then $5 and the size of a tylenol. my cousin cousin take prentals because they made her sick and her doctor said she could take gummy bear vitamins. you can also try taking them at night with a couple cracker right before bed...sometimes this helps

I am using Nature Valley. I got them in Walmart for like $5.00 for 200 pills. My dr said they are just as good as the prescription and alot cheaper. Best of luck and Congrats!

Congratulations on the baby!

Just taking any kind of multi-vitamin is healthy. You could get any generic brand of prenatals or you could get children's Flintstone vitamins. You could also call your OB's office and ask if they could at least call in a prescription for you even though you can't get an appointment yet.

Also, if vitamins tend to make you sick, wait to take them at bedtime.

Flintstone's vitamins. Take them with food.

Femprental or for something quick Centrum for pregnant woment & Congrats...go get that vitamin asap! Good luck

I couldn't tolerate prenatal vitamins in early pregancy so I just took a folic acid supplement. It's the most important thing to get enough of in the first trimester. I also took a B complex vitamin because it helped my nausea.

Prenatals made my niece sick at her stomach, so her OB suggested a Flintstone. Really!

Today, go to the pharmacy and ask the pharmacist for a good pre-natal vitamin. You need folic acid now - very important! Hopefully you are getting enough in your food, but you can't just hope. Neural tube defects, like spina bifida, happen in the first weeks of gestation, as well as cleft palates. (though not all cleft palates are caused by lack of folic acid.)

If the doc wants to switch you to a prescription vitamin when he or she sees you, fine, but right now, get the vitamin from the pharmacy. They put some of them over-the-counter just for this purpose.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I really love the Rainbow Light brand of vitamins. Took them through both of my pregnancies and nursing years. They are whole food based so easier on the tummy and easier for your body to absorb. The "one a day" are larger pills, so if that's a concern get the other formula. Congrats!

If you take Flintstone or other children's vitamins, take 2 because this will help you get the 400-800mcg folic acid. If you can't take any vitamins because they make you sick, consider buying Folic Acid 400-800mcg and taking them daily. Congrats on your pregnancy and best wishes! Nurse Midwife Mom

My sister works for an OB office and when I was TTC (my baby is now 5 weeks) I asked one of the Dr's what OTC prenatal I should take. She told me the Target Brand (Up and Up) is the one she recommends. Congrats!!!!

I suggest Oligo but they aren't chewable. I have heard that women who have trouble taking vitamins will take Flinstone chewables while pregnant.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! YAY!!! So exciting!
I study nutrition and I just wanted to inform you that generic vitamins- including Flintstones- honestly you are better off putting your $5.00 in your pocket because you may need it later! The absorption rate of what is on the label is less then 10%!!! Not much good there!
Usually a prenatal's absorption is a little better- which is why you would get sick after taking it. As long as it or any multivitamin is taken with food- you will not feel sick.
morning sickness in pregnant women is caused by a lack of B-vitamins...ALL of them! Only foods to get them all from is: liver, Brewers Yeast, or blackstrap molasses.
I suggest looking at this scientific study and then making your decision:
http://www.oligofructosecomplex.com

HEB brand prenatal vitamin with DHA. When I was pregnant with my 1st my OB kept telling me it was just as good as any "name brand" and is much, much less expensive. The only trouble is they are frequently sold out at my HEB.

I could never keep regular pre-natal vitamins down. So my midwife suggested using Vitamist spray vitamins. They have a great pre-natal spray. http://www.vitamist.com/ They have other great products as well.

many moms think they need a scrip for prenatals, but you don't . any good OTC multi is fine; better if you can get a prenatal OTC. i think even costco has one! i took an extra iron as well. the recomms in prior posts are all good.
in fact, i got a scrip for prenatals from my OB, only to go to the pharmacy and find they weren't covered by my insurance and were going to be VERRRRRY expensive! like $45 a month! even the "covered" brands can incur a high copay, so be sure to shop around your pharmacies and brands. call ins company for copays. in any case, the cost is totally crazy when a good OTC has all the same stuff. and it's for PREGNANCY. wonder what the copay is for viagra? makes you wonder...?
unless you have special needs or extreme tummy trouble, you do NOT need a prescription for prenatals. congrats!

In my experience (and discussions with my OB) - any OTC prenatal will work. BUt they want to make sure you take one with enough folic acid (call them to find out the amount).

I took the Kroger brand with my last pregnancy and the Walgreens brand with my first pregnancy. The Kroger brand that I took most recently seem to have all of the necessary vitamins and was not too expensive. I am still supposed to take it since I am still breastfeeding but I keep forgetting! My son is healthy and happy and I had a fairly healthy pregnancy.

my recommendation is to go to Whole Foods and get one there, the cheap multivitamins are practically useless because they are synthetic and hard for the body to digest. You and your baby deserve real vitamins! They may be a little pricey but 100 percent worth every penny, you are growing a real live person! Congrats!

Any halfway decent OB would call in a prescription for you BEFORE your appointment. I would call him/her and see if they will call something in for you. Most of the Rx variety of prenatals these days contains DHA. Yes, the folic acid is extremely important (my OB recommends at least 1 milligram - the gold standard is at least 400 micrograms), but more recent studies have shown that DHA is essential for healthy brain, heart, and eye development. Most Americans are deficient in DHA so that is the reason OB's recommend a prenatal that contains DHA. I personally haven't seen any OTC prenatals that contain DHA, but I suppose you could always pick up a separate bottle. I take the Rx prenatal "Concept", which contains both 1 mg of Folic Acid, as well as DHA. It's also one of the smallest prenatals that contains both and so far i've had no trouble keeping it down (as long as I take it with food). I also have difficulty with nausea throughout my pregnancies, but so far so good with this prenatal. HTH!