Prenatal Vitamins - Salt Lake City,UT

Every time I take prenatal vitamins I just get really sick. I've tried different brands and taking them at night, nothing works!
I read an article about women who don't take vitamins and their kids turn out healthy and ok. Has anyone done this? I'm so tired of feeling this sick. last week I forgot to take them for the whole week and I felt GREAT I wasn't tired didn't feel nauseous. Then I remembered and started taking them again and I just feel terrible. I don't have any energy AT ALL! Could it really be the vitamins? I've even tried vegan organic! They don't work either. :(
Could it hurt my baby if I stop taking them all together?

My prenatals made me sick as well. My doctor told me to take one Flintstone vitamin in the morning and one at night. So I've been doing this and haven't gotten sick since. Bonus--my 3 year old son finally takes his Flintstone vitamin since mommy does. ;)

Prenatal vitamins made me sick too. To this day I can't even smell them. Try taking two Flintstones vitamins, might make a difference. That's what my OB suggested for me.

M. I didn't read the responses so sorry if its a repeat. I was not good about taking my prenatal vitamins with any of my 3 kids. Like you they made me sick. I did find that if I took them after I ate (even though it says on an empty stomach) I felt much better. They do make these "vitamins" that are made from plants and are supposed to be great, especially when you are pregant. Never taken them but heard good things about them.
Good luck and congrats on the upcoming little one!
M. P

I am a midwife with 3 daughters. I did not take prenatal vitamins and all of my kids are very healthy. Studies have shown that the majority of vitamins are peed out anyway. There is a joke that the United States has the most expensive urine because of all the vitamins people buy and then lose in their urine. The reason you feel nauseated is because your body does not know what to do with the vitamins. The best thing to do is to just eat healthy. And for the women that will harp on you about folic acid, you only need that for the first 4 weeks after that the neural tube is closed and if it did not close there is nothing you can do about it now. And a lot of our foods have folic acid added to it.
Stop taking them and relax, you will not hurt your baby.

How far along are you? One of the primary reasons for the pushing of prenatal vitamins is to make sure women are getting enough folic acid to prevent spina bifida. The overall use is so when women don't eat well during pregnancy -at least their bodies and the fetus are getting some nutrients. If you're out of the 1st trimester and you honestly eat a balanced and healthy diet full of fruits, vegetables, carbohydrates from whole grains and lean protein -then you should probably be fine. Talk to your doctor about it and see what she says. If you're having issues with eating lots of foods and are living on bread or crackers or one specific thing all the time -I would say keep taking them.

I've had two full-term pregnancies and two healthy, robust children, and I never took prenatal vitamins. My doctors in three states (both my pregnancies started and ended in different states) were totally fine with this. Granted, they knew my lifestyle and felt like I was getting plenty of nutrients without vitamins. I'm a vegetarian, but I eat dairy and eggs and TONS of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. If you eat a well balanced diet, I wouldn't be too worried about vitamins. However, if you find you're not eating a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and grains, I'd try to find something that works better for you as other posters have suggested.

I took them with my first. They made me so sick it was horrible. Severe joint pain, nausea, swelling, total body shut down. We're not talking mild here. And yes..I did try other kinds. I stopped taking them and within a couple days, after I "detoxed", I was fine. I stopped taking them completely after that. I have had 2 other children since then and I didn't take a single one with either one. I even told my midwife with my other 2 pregnancies that I was not taking a single one. I ate a balanced diet etc instead. All 3 children are happy and healthy and after I stopped taking them my health returned and I could handle the pregnancy with my first. You should get your nutrients from food you eat not from a pill in my opinion. My body could not process it at all.

Prenatal vitamins made me feel nauseated too.. and sometimes I vomited from the nausea. Try taking them with food so they aren't hitting your stomach empty. If not, don't worry too much!! It's certainly not healthy for baby if you are throwing up all the time! If they make you sick, try upping your daily intake of folic acid-rich foods like sunflower seeds, asparagus, lentils or chickpeas (garbanzo beans). If you make sure you are eating a balanced, healthy diet and talk it over with your OB, you will be just fine. I'm sure your OB won't like to hear you are vomiting all the vitamin up anyway!

I found gummy pre-natals at Target that do not make me sick. I don't know about you but I have so many food aversions right now that there is no way I am eating right so I take the vitamins.

1 / 3