Prenatal Vitamins? - Evansville,IN

It has been several years (3) since I was pregnant. I forgot what I took then... Prenatal vitamin, folic acid, Expecta, calcium supplement too?
Also - which prenatal vitamins are best? Thanks!

I just took the target brand prenatal vitamin with both my kids. It is the exact same, and i had no problems with it and both my kids are very healthy. Prenatal is the best though when expecting. Congrats!

I have used generic and non-generic prenatals. I think they have the same amounts of everything in them, so I don't think you need to worry about that. I only took prenatals while pregnant, but my doctor also said I could take DHA supplements. I am currently nursing and taking the DHA supplements.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

If I can recommend a vitamin that is even better than the norm Prenatal Vit. Please visit www.Usana.com and search ESSENTIALS. The reason i suggest these are that they have more Folic Acid along with several other vitamins important to pregnant women.
Please use Associate ####-###-#### to order. You won't regret it and your baby will be soooo much healthier.
http://laddmcnamara.blogspot.com/ for more on these vitamins as Prenatals.

Good Luck and congratulations!!

You need to have a conversation with your OB and your pharmacist. Please don't take any of our advice as solid.

Most health care professionals know that most Rx prenatal vitamins are the only ones FDA approved. Even those you can purchase at reputable stores such as GNC, WholeFoods, have likely not conducted the clinical trials, and there's no way to verify the purity of the ingredients.

Here in Indianapolis we have free prenatal vitamins by Rx through Marsh pharmacies. I can't recall if you have Marsh there, but you may want to call around to different pharmacies to see how much prenatals cost. Walmart has Rx prenatal vitamins for $4/month.

Also, some people (like me) can't take Calcium during pregnancy because I get so much through my diet. It caused me to have horrible kidney stones early in my pregnancy with my daughter. Your body can only absorb 500 mg at a time, so don't purchase anything that has more than that. You'll simply pee the rest of it out.

Melaleuca does not have any FDA approved products. Though they may have ingredients registered with the FDA, they've not gone through the process of clinical trials and can not prove that they have maximum absorption. Sorry, Jaimee, I just want to be fair and honest.

Prenatal vitamins have folic acid and calcium in them already.
I bought my own vitamins right away, not knowing I could get a prescription, and the ones I bought [I forget what they were now] were so huge and gross. I decided to buy another kind...they were also disgusting and made me nauseous not to mention they were expensive. Went to my OB and she said she could prescribe them, so I ended up with a prescription for the Target generic prenatal vitamins from the pharmacy and they were easy to swallow, did not taste bad, and did not make me sick.
Besides that, I tool a fish oil supplement and ate as many fruits and veggies as I could.
As a poster said below, you should go based on what your OB says for something like this.

Most prenatal Vitamins have folic acid, calcium etc in them.
I also think they're all pretty much the same.
Just want to make sure you are getting enough vitamins to make up for what you are sharing with the wee one :)

I agree with Jaimee. The Melaluca brand is great!

Melaleuca's are the best because they have maximum absorption.

1 / 3