Pregnant with Second Child

OK I have a question.... I have a 4 year old child at home and I am currently 7 weeks pregnant with my second child. My clothes are already starting to get too tight on me. I am nervous about gaining too much weight seen as I have gained almost 4 pounds since getting pregnant. I remember it took FOREVER to show with my first child and I feel like my belly is starting to pop. I go to the doctor next week for my first visit. They don't see patients until they have missed two periods. I have been taking my prenatal vitamins and haven't been eating any more than I did before I got pregnant.

I was the same as the other moms. I was fit and tight my first pregnancy. The second time I was showing at a couple months. The third time, I was pregnant about 15 minutes and people could tell. Even now, if I'm a little gassy, it looks like I'm 5 months pregnant:)

My abs are wasted, but I've got the most awesome kids in the world. The celebrities can keep their flat bellies, I have what's really important.

Subsequent pregnancies do show much sooner than the first one. Just follow the reasonable rules about eating and try not to obsess. I know of women with 10, up to 21 children who stay trim, so it is in the genes, I guess.

I am also pregnant with my second. I had to start wearing maternity clothes at 8 weeks this time, as opposed to 12-14 weeks with my first. My doctor said I would start showing a lot sooner with any subsequent pregnancies. I remember when I was pregnant with my first, I worked with a woman who was pregnant with her fifth, and we were due at the same time. She was huge, compared to me, but gained the same amount of weight as with her other pregnancies. I have actually gained less weight this time around, and I started 5 pounds lighter than my last pregnancy, but my body is bigger than last time. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's what happened. I am due any day now. You could try cutting down on sweets and junk food if you are concerned. Good luck!

It is very common with second child to show much sooner - don't forget that those muscles and area of your body have already been stretched before for the 1st child - so it stretches easier the 2nd time. Good luck with the pregnancy.

MH

Continue to eat healthy and don't worry. I didn't look "look" pregnant with my first until 7 months but with my second I was in maternity clothes by 12 weeks. My weight gain was only about 5 pounds more with the second and my prepregnancy weight was about the same. As others have posted, your pelvic muscle are more relaxed and you just show sooner. Good luck!

Don't worry about it and get the comfy pants out now verses trying to sqeeze into your regular clothes. It is normal to pop sooner. I remember getting out my materity jeans very unwillingly, putting them on and thinking "why didn't I do this sooner!"

Michelle,

The 4 lbs you have gained already is nothing to be concerned about. Unfortunately the body remembers being pregnant and you do show quite early. I remember that being something that bothered me also. Because with my 1st I didn't start wearing maternity clothes until 6 months and the 2nd and third almost right away!

I think if you just keep eating healthy and not indulging yourself (every once in a while is good), that the weight you gain will be all baby. Sometimes you have people tell you that you are "eating for two" and I didn't buy into that philosphy. I just ate what I thought was approriate for myself and the baby (tried to watch all the cravings for sweets & junkfood) and I did continue to exercise and walk my dog.

Good luck with the second child. Children are blessings from God!

Blessings,

It's very common with the secod child to start showing earlier - your muscles have already been stretched once. As for weight gain, just remember to keep eating healthy and getting exercise. You absolutely want to keep the "empty" calories to a minimum - desserts and junk food. It could also be that with the hot weather you are retaining water. Be sure you are drinking a LOT of water - water helps you flush out excess waste, etc.

With your second (and third and so on) child, you show a lot earlier. Muscle has memory, and your stomach has been stretched before, so it will stretch again more easily.

Michelle
Congrats on #2. Do no worry one bit. Showing much earlier with the 2nd is VERY common. WIth first pregnancies your body is learning what to do and how to accomodate the growing baby so it resists at first and you do not show until much later. However, with the 2nd, it is almost like the body totally remembers and right away you pop. Totally normal I assure you. With my first I did not show until I was about 22 weeks. With #2 I was hiding my belly at 6 weeks. It was RIDICULOUS how pregnant I looked so early.
It just happens.

1 / 3