Pregnant with No Insurance - Athens,OH

I just applied for Medicaid to help with the medical bills of having a second child (we don't have any insurance) and was denied yesterday because I make to much money. (How does a family of three plus one on the way have to much money when only one person works? Add up daycare, groceries, car payments, etc., and there is no money left!) Anyway...does anyone know of other options that I could try? I don't want to go into debt, but I can't afford insurance.

Definitely check into the health departments family planning. If they don't have a wellness clinic I am sure they can refer to somewhere that does. They can't deny medical when pregnant. I would also appeal their descision.

I have been walking the same road, I actually have health insurance... just no maternity.

I know that you said you can't afford insurance, and I am not possitive if we live in the same Area... but I found that cinergy health insurance is REALLY cheap, and they will accept you after you are pregnant. They have 2 rates, $186 a month ... or $241 and they will start your coverage right away. They will pay %80 of everything, and if you use a Dr in their network, the DR will give a 30-40% disscount which is pretty awesome, I have calculated that this would leave me with about $200-300 to pay when it is all said and done. I hope that helps.

Babylove is the program you want in NC. Call 1-800-FOR-BABY. Someone should be able to help you determine whether or not you qualify because of your income. For Medicaid (NC Healthy Start or Healthchoice; not Medicare, which is for the elderly), your income for a family of 4 (a baby not yet born should be included) must be $3442/month max, with more for work-related expenses such as daycare. If you're the only one working, they probably will not take daycare expenses into account but instead see those as optional, if your spouse can work. I know what you mean about not having any $$ left. I almost wish I made less, just to qualify for some of the programs. Instead, I make slightly too much, and any little bit extra (plus more) is eaten up by one expense or another. Good luck!

S.,

I was looking on your profile and says that you are located in Ohio, so I looked up Ohio Medicaid benefits (I work in healthcare finance and insurance so I'm familiar with this kind of thing). Looks like the income guidelines for "parents" is 90% of the federal proverty level and for pregnant women it is 150% of the federal proverty level. I'm not sure if you have already had the baby so I will give you both senarios.

What this means is that for a family of 4: If they consider you a "parent" only, your income would have to be at or under $18,000 per year (1,500 monthly) to qualify. If they base their decision on you as a pregnant woman, your family income would have to be $30,000 per year (2,500 monthly). Also, if they are considering your benefits as a family of 3 - as in looking at your situation before the baby was born, the income max amounts will be thousands of dollars less per year.

Also, you can contact the hospital you would give birth in and see what charities or discounts they offer. Depending on how aggressive the hospital collections department is, they may be willing to work with you quite a bit. Some are quite aggressive though, and will make you pay a certain amount per month or be sent to collections. Others will allow you to make very small monthly payments with interest tacked on. I would check with your dr. and the hospital to find out what they do when someone cannot pay in full, just to devise a plan. Also, if you plan to have an epidural, there may be an additional charge from this doctor, so you might need to make one more phone call.

Just remember though, if you do get sent to collections over medical bills, these are looked at as a less serious matter than being delinquent in other types of bills.

For example, if you were go to buy a house and you could have $10,000 in unpaid medical bills or $10,000 in unpaid credit card bills, they would flat deny you because of the unpaid credit cards, but would still consider you with the medical bills on there if the rest of your financial situtaion looked good.

I know I didn't help too much, but maybe some of this information will give you a little more understanding.

Good Luck! I have a daughter who is disabled and my husband is a full time student while I work 2 part time jobs and we just got a termination letter in the mail today. She had the ins for a year but I guess since she had surgery last month and it cost 11,000$, they wanted to drop her.

The only thing I can say is, aren't you going to be leaving your job to take care of the baby? If so, you will not have that income and when you apply for insurance, it is retroactive. But are you applying for your family or just the children? You can apply for just the children and not the family. That might help.

Sorry about that. Good luck.

What county do you live in because in Durham County, pregnant women are not denied Medicaid. Did you take them proof of your pregnancy (a note from your doctor with you expected date of delivery)? I would apply again, but make sure they are aware that you are applying for Medicaid for pregnant women (MPW). There are so many different Medicaid programs that they may not have been sure with one you were requesting. Medicare is for people who are disabled or of retirement age, so that is not what you should be applying for in this case. I worked in collections for awhile and I believe the cost of a vaginal delivery (not including prenatal care) is $4022.00, but it may have gone up since last year. There are other programs out there. You should go to social services and ask about Healthchoice (a program that is like a combination of mediciad and regular insurance, you'll have copays, but usually no deductible or monthly costs) if you are denied Medicaid.

Is the CHIPS plan not available to you either. If you make too much for the actual medical card you could be eligible for CHIPS. Usually the Department of Health and Human Resources automatically sees if you are eligible for that when you arent for the medical card however it may depend on the state you are in.

I know how hard the insurance thing is. Both my husband and I are self-employed so we buy our own insurance and pay an outrageous premium every month. I'm pregnant with my first child though so I know you have it tougher. My only suggestion is to look into alternative birthing methods, (i.e. birthing centers) They typically cost less than a hospital and you are more likely to have a natural birth and avoid the huge expense of a ceasarean. I am going to one myself and it's absolutely wonderful. I'm not sure how far along you are and if this is even an option for you but I wish you the best of luck!Oh also, if you are comfortable now with labor(being your third child) talk to some doulas. They can usually give you a name of a midwife that will do a homebirth. I looked into this at first and it costs $2500. Of course this is just for the birth you'll still want to have prenatal appointments with someone. My birthing center is approximately $5000 for the whole package.

1 / 3