Pregnant with Diarrhea/Passing Blood or Tissue, Cramping, Help?

I am a bit concerned and was hoping someone could share experience or help me out. Apologies to begin with if this is TMI. I am currently 16 weeks pregnant. I woke up last night with some diarrhea and vomiting...after about going 3 times with normal yucky diarrhea, I began to start passing pinkish/red tissues that seemed kind of clotty. I've been going almost every half hour, and have the same thing with slight cramping each time. It is not a large volume, and it is definitely rectal, not vaginal, but I'm really scared because my mother had third stage colon cancer. I did call the gynecologist and they said that it is possible that it is internal hemmorrhoids or that the diarrhea irritated some lining, and they could check me to ease my worry. However, I was told that they can't always detect internal hemmorhoids with just a rectal exam so I'm sort of freaking out because I don't know if I should get checked or just wait it out. The thought of them poking around in there seems to make me more upset but I don't know if this is common or not. I have a regular OB checkup next Thursday, but they can see me sooner if I want. Has anyone experienced this?

Freaked out or not, please go get that checked. You could either have internal hemorhoids, or you could have broken a blood vessel in your rectum. I don't know if they can do a colonoscopy at this point in your pregnancy, but your OB can find out from a gastroenterologist. I am sure that they would find a spot for you in their schedule if you need this. It is really a big deal that you have a family history, so don't let this just ride.

Hugs~

Get checked out NOW. Do not wait until your regular exam. I'm surprised the ob's office did not insist you come in right away. The fact you're pregnant should have had them telling you to come in the very same day this happened just to check you. I would never assume hemorrhoids or anything else. You could even have a virus or food poisoning. Get to an ER if this continues; sure, it could be hemorrhoids or you could be having problems related to the pregnancy -- we cannot tell online!! Better to get checked and find it's nothing than to wait and regret it, frankly.

Go get checked, just to make sure baby is doing alright and you are going to be ok. if nothing else maybe they can give you something to calm your bowels. I'm 23 weeks along, and my hemroids act up every time i have a BM, even if I don't strain. What you are describing is normal, if that is what it is.

good luck!

I had the same thing at 20 weeks and when I went for my appointment the dr did an internal check and said it was hemroids. :( so he said to use preparation h and drink more water/ fiber to ease the going...try not to worry, it's pretty common...and make sure you stay hydrated because of the vomitting and diarrhea

Early in my pregnancy I bled a few times. At least two of those times was due to hemmorhoids but each time I saw the blood it scared me to death especially since I've had 2 previous miscarriages.

I saw the doctor each time I had bleeding and they also checked the baby and I could hear the heartbeat or see the baby if they did an ultrasound and it was a HUGE relief just to know that the baby is still okay.

I didn't get puking sick with my pregnancy (I'm 31 weeks now) but I did get the diarrhea side of the sickness and I was told similiar to what they told you that it is most likely irritating that area and so every time you have a BM it just reopens that hemmorhoid. Does that make sense?

I bought some Preparation H stuff-the cooling gel, it helped with the pain that I was feeling in the rectal area, the wipes and you can even take a warm bath with epsom salt, it helps.

But I think if your doctor can see you sooner, it may do you some good. Give you some piece of mind at least.

I understand your freaking given family history.

My first thought was that you had a hemerroid that is torn. If the bleeding continues- you MUST get it checked out - especially with your family history of colon cancer.

Your OB/GYN or your PCP may (should) refer you to a gastrointerologist. I'm not sure if they'll be able to give you a colonoscopy during pregnancy but I would not hesitate to get it checked out - I would not wait two days.

Get it checked out....better safe than sorry!

Definitely go get it checked out, the sooner the better. Even if you weren't pregnant, that is not normal. It could be hemorrhoids, aggravated by the pregnancy and the diarrhea. Thing is, there are gastrointestinal infections, mostly caused by bacteria, such as E coli, Shiguella, Salmonella, and Campylobacter, that will give you bloody stools, so ask them to do a stool culture, (results take about 3-4 days to come back) since from all the other symptoms, including stools every 30 minutes, it definitely indicates an acute infectious process is going on. Also, like already mentioned, drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydraton, and a liquid diet for now might be best, to give your gut a rest, and stay clear from dairy. Good luck and hope U feel better soon.

1 / 3