Pregnant but Showing No Fetus at 6 1/2 Weeks

I had my last ultrasound today, 9/8, and did not have good news. I will be having a D&C this week. Thank you to everyone who responded.

Yes I went through the same thing. At about the third month or a little before I finally started bleeding and to be honest with you, I lost the baby. They said that what happened to me rarely happens in women, but it happened. My body did finally get rid of it though on its own and I had to go in and have a D and C.

Be Blessed - Bev
Just telling you the truth

Hi KZ,
My Aunt had the same problem. It was a blighted ovum, but her belly grew & she had morning/afternoon sickness. She also waited to have the next sonogram. There was no heartbeat, nothing. The Doc performed a DNC. But all is well, that made her more determined to have a baby. He's now a healthy happy 9 yr old.

I had that happen but I did not have a lot of pregnancy symptoms and I started a very heavy period at about 9 weeks so don't give up hope. That is still also very early to show up on ultrasound too.

Be Blessed - Bev
Just telling you the truth

I have not been through this but I have had a friend who lost her baby at 7 weeks because there was no heartbeat but there was still a sac (I think) in her becasue they had to do surgery to remove whatever was there.

I had the same thing happen and advise you to wait and see. Miracles happen! I miscarried after the 8th week, a fetal pole showed, but never a heartbeat, then the Ges. sac collapsed and I spotted and miscarried. The process of miscarriage is always devastating - we fall in love with that baby at the first sign of the two lines on the test! But I know God has a bigger plan and we have our little angel in heaven that we'll meet one day. Allow yourself all the emotions and grief, and postpatum stuff as well. You'll be in my prayers!
K. B

Same thing happened to me many years ago. I ended up waiting until the next sonogram and then had a DNC. I felt all of the pregnany symptoms but my numbers were not increasing like they were supposed to either. This was my third miscarriage. Now I have three healthy children. If this is the case for you, I feel for you. It was a hard period of my life and no one else understood. My doctor told me that this was proof that I was able to get pregnant but something just didn't work out.
It's hard to find the right words of comfort but keep your chin up!

Please, quickly ask about the possibility of a molar pregnancy.

I also conceived July 5th and lost the baby, probably due to blighted ovum. I never even made it to an ultrasound. My HCG levels did not double and then dropped. I have a friend who had a blighted ovum that she eventually had to have a D&C at 12 weeks because she did not miscarry on her own. I know how awful you feel. I feel fortunate that I miscarried on my own and early. When you have a blighted ovum the placenta starts to grow and I have read the the placenta can live up to 2 months without a fetus. I hope that you have a happy ending. Good luck and God Bless.

I had a blighted ovum and we did not discover it until 8 weeks. Because my previous pregnancy ended a miscarriage that almost killed me, we opted for a D&C. Just a month or so before I had this, a friend had a blighted ovum and she was 16 weeks, showing, wearing maternity clothes and the whole nine yards. We were concerned as you are about doing something prematurely, so they did blood work again before the D&C (different people) for our own sanity. I hope this helps. I feel your pain.

1 / 3