Pregnant and Starving!

Mamas, I have a weird request. I'm at the tail end of my first trimester. This is my second baby. The first pregnancy was only two years ago, so I feel like I should remember how this works! My problem is this - I'm over the nausea, but I'm STARVING all of the time. When I eat, I make sure I eat until I'm not hungry, but I don't stuff myself. This used to keep me going for at least two hours. Now, I'm hungry every hour, if not more often! If I eat fresh fruit and veggies, I can be hungry within 20 minutes. What did you eat to keep you going through these starving weeks? I gained WAY too much weight the first time, so I'm trying to be more careful this time. Any ideas? Thanks!

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for all your advice! I've been Starving Free for a week, and I feel great. My house is full of cheese and whole wheat toast now. Yummy!

I like fiber bars (target makes a generic of the more expensive fiber one bars) and vitamuffins (in the frozen section at supermarket or at vitalicious.com.)Fiber makes you feel full for longer... so if not these two things, stuff with lots of fiber... or protein - try a handful of almonds or other nuts... good luck - these are great for taking the weight off too! I have a 4 mth old and am at pre pregnancy weight.

Look for protein-rich snacks. They're more filling and last longer than fruits which are high in carbs.

Drink lots of water and don't feel a need to eat if you feel a little hungry -- it might just be psychological and you don't need that many more calories than you would normally.

Hello. Ask your OB if there are any shakes that you can take, like Ensure or those found in the health food store. I used to snack a lot on cut veggies and fruits. I also used to supplement my diet with heavier foods like peanut butter and avocado. I also drank TONS of water. I had the same problem. Be sure to do some moderate exercise as well. I hope this helps.

Lots of water, protein, nuts...you aren't expecting twins, are you??? :-)

Best wishes...

HA! I love this. Eat more protien - that should satiate you for longer, and it's good for the baby. I liked peanut butter and banana milk shakes (A banana, two tablespoons of pb and 8 oz of milk) YUMMY! I also ate a lot of almonds.

Enjoy!

I agree with the other mommies--make sure that you are getting enough lean meats and eggs and dairy. Some times a glass of milk is what I needed to get me between meals when I was pregnant. The other thing I would focus on are things with lots of fiber, both grains and veggies. This will help keep you fuller longer. Plus will help keep away the evil constipation monster!!
If you eat whole grains, lean meats, veggies and fats in the right places (salmon, nut butters, olive oil etc) Your body will do what it needs to keep the baby healthy and prepare for breastfeeding. And it will be way easier to take off!
Good luck!!

I had the same thing happen to me as soon as my first trimester ended. I was STARVING all the time. So I just gave in. If you eat right, you won't put on all that much weight, and with having to chase around a 2 year old you will be active whether or not you want to me. Just have granola bars on hand in your bag, and stack your fridge with fruits and vegi's and snack away during the day. Your baby is growing and if you are hungry then do what the baby needs. It will eventually pass. I think my starving streak lasted about 2 months. Good Luck! And congratulations!

Always keep healthy snacks nearby. Granola is great and they have it in lots of different mixes. Raisins and whole grain crackers are always good to snack on in between meals. Another good one that really fills you up is nuts (all kinds are good and also sunflower seeds are very high in folic acid. Eat up and stay healthy :). Best of luck to you and your new baby.

With both my girls I had to watch my weight gain not only because I was heavy w/my start weight but with the help of a nutritionist/dietician at the hospital I had to meet with because of my diabetes I only gained 12 lbs w/my 1st & 16 w/my 2nd - I'm not suggesting that they put you on a diabetic diet, but honestly I sometimes felt like I couldn't eat all that was required in a day. It was broken down for me as far as how many calories I could consume and suggestions for meals, etc. My husband followed right along w/the diet and it has been something that we have tried to follow through with so our daughters don't always go for that candy bar instead of a piece of fruit or something as they get older. Good luck!

1 / 3